Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MikeSW1974
Streaming Star

When switching to Roku, I get a "no signal" on the tv screen & have to hit "ok" on the roku remote.

I just set up the Roku Express 4K+ . Now, before that I had the Roku Express+ for over 3 years and this issue never occurred with that device. When I turn the tv to the hdmi1 port to turn on Roku, I get a "no signal" message on the tv set & the blue power light isn't lighting up on the Roku Express4K+ until I hit the "ok" button on the Roku remote control. Is this normal for this device? 

[image added for context]

Example of what a 'HDMI 1 No Signal' message could look like on your TVExample of what a 'HDMI 1 No Signal' message could look like on your TV

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
Fishface
Streaming Star

Re: When switching to Roku, I get a "no signal" on the tv screen & have to hit "o

I’ve had the issue when I do not turn on the sound first through my audio system before starting up Roku.  After a delay of a couple seconds it starts up ok.  This is similar but not exactly the same as your situation.

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: When switching to Roku, I get a "no signal" on the tv screen & have to hit "o

The light goes off when the screensaver is active.  By pressing a button on the remote (don't use Play/Pause or you may find you've installed an advertised channel you don't want) you're dismissing the screensaver and the light comes on.  I don't know why you'd get "No signal" from your TV when the screensaver is active.  Try a different one and see if it still happens.

Edit:  This looks similar to this:
https://community.roku.com/t5/Playback-Issues-Audio-Video-Power/Roku-4K-Powers-Off-when-screensaver-...

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Gleeksy

I had the same problem. Turn “Auto power savings” off in power settings.

MikeSW1974
Streaming Star

Thank you very much; stupid question though lol- if I do that, won't the roku player stay running in the background?  

0 Kudos
JulieMac

Switching the “Auto power savings” off solved my problem. I hate that I have to turn off the power save, but I also don’t want the “”no signal” blue screen staying on all night if I fall asleep watching tv…I’d rather have the Roku screensaver so it doesn’t ruin my tv screen (the whole point of screen savers). 

Strega
Roku Guru

Rokus have been measured in the 2-5 watt range while streaming, and lower when they are idle.  That’s so low that they didn’t bother with an on/off or power saving setting in early devices.  Many newer devices have the power setting feature which probably saves an additional watt or two.  For me, pressing Home is no big deal so I save the watt(ish) and leave the power saving mode on.

TVs can use over 100 watts depending on size and type, so if you don’t want to turn the TV off, you might want to check carefully for sleep timers or power saving modes in the TV.

As far as saving a screen, most LCD/LED screens are extremely tolerant of static signals and don’t need to be “saved”.  Turning them off so the backlight is not running is probably the best way to make them last longer.  OLED and Plasma displays do have some b urn-in issues, but turning them off is still best if possible. (Space in "b urn" required to get past forum anti-spam feature. 😀)

0 Kudos