Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PrinceLH
Streaming Star

When Will We See An Update On The Roku Channel?

With so many people not being able to access the Roku Channel's Live TV, when is there going to be an update?  This issue has been getting worse since it started about a year ago.  Being able to access the guide, you get the channel number and a blank screen.  No audio or video.  You can see the still shots that are recommendations for you.  I would like to upgrade to the Roku Channel Plus, but won't until they fix this issue.  I'm sure they're going to ask for all of the same information, but that's not getting the job done.  It's well past time for a revision for the Roku Channel and the Website.

0 Kudos
19 REPLIES 19
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: When Will We See An Update On The Roku Channel?

Edit:  what happened to my text?

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
PrinceLH
Streaming Star

The solution is a new revision and a fix that is long overdue.  My way of getting it done is to rally people who are having the same issue and get Roku off their ass and get it done. It's preposterous that it's taken so long.

6E616D65
Streaming Star

from How to get The Roku Channel | Official Roku Support

Add The Roku Channel to any Roku streaming device, compatible Samsung Smart TV, or compatible Amazon Fire TV device or watch on TheRokuChannel.com or on the Roku mobile app.

Note: The Roku Channel is currently available in the United States, Canada, and the United Kingdom on Roku streaming devices, web, and mobile, and in Mexico on Roku streaming devices only. Premium Subscriptions on The Roku Channel are available in the United States, except on Samsung TVs and Amazon Fire TV devices.

I'm in the U.S. and have no problem, but I can reproduce your results when I want to. So where are you, and how are you watching?

0 Kudos
PrinceLH
Streaming Star

I am in Canada.  I have two Roku TV's and two streaming sticks.  None of them are able to play the Roku channel.  I have a router with a U.S. VPN on it.  I've hooked it up to the router, I've also run it off of the Canadian modem.  It doesn't matter what IP that I use, I don't get the Roku Channel's Live TV.  All of my paid services work.  I was considering the Roku premium service, but no chance if this doesn't get fixed.  I have a cousin with the same issue.  So if you think that you can make this work, have at it.  There's obviously an issue and the App needs to be updated.  

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Well it's never going to work if you're using a VPN.  That doesn't mean the app is broken.  If you're doing anything that could possibly mask your true location it's not going to work.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
6E616D65
Streaming Star

"I was considering the Roku premium service"

It's not available in Canada.

0 Kudos
PrinceLH
Streaming Star

If you're using a router with a U.S. VPN, it shouldn't be a problem.

0 Kudos
PrinceLH
Streaming Star

That's untrue.  I have no issues buying U.S. programming with a VPN router.  I've tried using my Canadian router, with the same issues that I currently have with the Roku channel.  It's just bad programming of the app itself.

0 Kudos
6E616D65
Streaming Star

"If you're using a router with a U.S. VPN, it shouldn't be a problem."

If you think so, then why don't you complain to your VPN provider that the server you're using is assigning IP addresses from a blacklisted block? I know why you don't...