Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Volume is too loud on commercials too low on shows/movies

Jump to solution

On your smart tv go to settings, "sound", probably "advanced settings", turn on "auto volume". it keeps all volumes at the same decibal level.

Annony
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I don't have a smart TV but I did set volume settings where they're supposed to all be the same, unfortunately, it doesn't work in Roku!

0 Kudos
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Annony

Thanks for your post. 

Have you checked if your Roku device supports volume modes? The list of compatible devices can be found on the link below. Try enabling Automatic Volume Leveling and see if that will resolve the issue you're experiencing. 

For more information, this support article may help: How do I use volume modes on my Roku streaming device?

Regards,
Nimfa

Irony58
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

I've got a TCL Roku TV and hate the loud commercials. Actually, the commercials are normal volume, but the shows are so low volume that I have to increase the volume to crazy levels just to hear the show. Then the commercials blast out.

My TV does have a setting for volume leveling, but I can't enable it in my setup. I use the"headphone" jack to play sound through an external amplifier. As soon as I plug into that port, the Automatic Leveling option grays out and is inaccessible.

Isn't that a bit dumb? If I did want to listen through actual headphones, automatic leveling is off, so instead of blasting out a speaker, I would get hearing damage. Pretty poor design decision.

DaisyV

Jump to solution

Hi @RokuNimfa-C

Here is an example for you to test..

Commercials TOO LOUD on TCL ROKU TV/ROKU CHANNEL 

EXAMPLE - ROKU CHANNEL > HOW DO YOU KNOW(movie)

Another example is SMASH on ROKU CHANNEL.

This VOLUME INCREASE happens on all shows I watch on ROKU CHANNEL.

I have TCL ROKU TV..

IT DOES NOT HAVE OPTION FOR SOUND LEVELING.

I HAVE TRIED ALLROKU REMOTE * TV SETTINGS FOR SOUND MODE(NORMAL, SPEECH,THEATER, BIG BASS, TREBLE MUSIC).

I HAVE TRIED ALL AUDIO SETTINGS ON TCL SETTINGS - AUDIO(AUTO,TV SPEAKERS)

NOTE: I have my volume set at 20 for all channels however when watching ROKU CHANNEL I have to increase volume to 30 to be able to hear the show until the commercials play and the sounds seems to double in volume so I have to decrease volume to 15 or MUTE

This should be enough to troubleshoot..looking forward to a solution..along with many other ROKU customers

RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @DaisyV,

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community and providing information.

We'll send your feedback to the Roku channel team. Let us know if there are other related issues that we can further take a look at.

We're hoping to get everything sorted out soon and appreciate you bearing with us in the meantime.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
PurifyD

Jump to solution

It's **bleep**ing insane and an insanely **bleep**ing stupid on Roku management's part.  Switching to another streamer for this reason alone.  **bleep** Roku!

0 Kudos
shyviolet

Jump to solution

Soon to be illegal.  It's already illegal when media is coming from a broadcast antenna or cable service.  It's called the CALM Act of 2010. This new 2023 bill makes it illegal when media's coming from internet streaming service.  Reach out to your federal representatives. Here's the bill: https://www.businessinsider.com/calm-act-bill-fix-loud-television-commercials-2023-3

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi Community users,

We will be locking this thread because of its outdated status. If you still have issues related to this thread, please look through the Community for another thread that addresses the same problem. If there aren't any existing threads, you are more than welcome to create a new one.

When creating a new thread, please make sure to provide the following details:

• When did this issue first start occurring?
  • What Roku model device are you using?
  • Which streaming channels are you experiencing this issue on?
  • Which specific ads and specific content you are having an issue
  • Steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing and what exactly the behavior is that you are experiencing?

Note: We'll mark this post as solved for visibility and as a reference for other users.

Best regards,
Roku Community Team

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos