Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RussellP1
Channel Surfer

Viewing area decreased with Roku Ultra

Jump to solution

I have Roku Ultra. Everything had been working fine, then I noticed when I turned to any streaming channel, YouTube, Netflix, Prime, etc., the viewing area on our large screen decreased to about 2/3rd of the screen. The only thing that fixes it is to go to system > power > restart Roku. Then it's fine during that time. When I switch to broadcast TV and then go back to a streaming channel, the process must be repeated. I have also totally rebooted my modem, router and Roku, yet the problem persists.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Re: Viewing area decreased with Roku Ultra

Jump to solution

@Scotchbrite

Thanks for the response.

We recently released an update on Roku Ultra models and we believe this will resolve the issue you're experiencing. Try running a manual software update on your device. To do this, navigate to Settings System System Update > Check Now

Let us know how it goes!

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
dwightheil

Jump to solution

I have the same issue, except with Roku Express 4K+.  I will try what you have suggested as your work around, but don't understand what is happening.  ALL Roku options are displaying in about 1/3 of screen area, including programs I have streamed previously with full screen viewing.  My television is an older Vizio HD TV with 1080p capability.  Why has viewing suddenly changed?  Is it something Roku has done somehow in an update that results in this issue with non-UHD TVs?  Anyone that can explain this or help resolve this issue, or explain where the "appropriate" support would be?

0 Kudos
RussellP1
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I've always had full-screen viewing on all streaming channels until this recent problem

0 Kudos
Scotchbrite
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I am having the same problem as well with the Ultra. Restart fixes it every time. 

Also before this my TV would switch input to the Roku when I hit the home button on the Ultra's remote. It will no longer do this either and I have to use the TV remote to switch inputs.

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi everyone, 

Thank you for reporting this issue to Roku Community!

I have a few questions to better understand the behavior you are seeing: 
1. When did this issue first start occurring? 
2. Do you observe this behavior while using any other channel(s) on your device? 
3. Have you restarted your device from Settings>System>System restart or If you have a Roku TV, go to Settings > System > Power > System restart > Restart and unplug your TV for 10-15 minutes then plug it back in to see if that clears things up?

If you are still having any issues, please provide us with the following information:

-Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found by selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

Once we have this information, we will be able to investigate further.

Regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
Scotchbrite
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

It first started on November 19th.

It happens with every channel.

I have restarted the device multiple times. It is the only way to get the playback in full-screen.

Model: 4800X Roku Ultra

Serial: X01000CLX0C2

Device ID: S02A211LX0C2

Software: 10.5.0 build 4201-C2

It happens on all channels.

Tracker ID C2-470-173

The issue occurs anytime the system has not be used for a length of time. The most consistent occurrence is after the TV has been off overnight. 

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@Scotchbrite

Thanks for the response.

We recently released an update on Roku Ultra models and we believe this will resolve the issue you're experiencing. Try running a manual software update on your device. To do this, navigate to Settings System System Update > Check Now

Let us know how it goes!

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
RussellP1
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

That worked...thanks.

Russ Pruitt

0 Kudos
RussellP1
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

That worked. Thanks,

Russ Pruitt

0 Kudos
Scotchbrite
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

My player isn't finding the update. Tried twice yesterday and again this morning to manually check for updates and it has only updated a few of the channels. Still shows same software version 10.5.0 build 4201-C2.

0 Kudos