Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
duker1
Reel Rookie

VPN issue with Paramount+

Jump to solution

When trying to watch certain shows on Paramount+, the following message is displayed: Oh No! You're using a VPN or proxy, which prevents playing your video. Please disable this service and try again. Questions? Visit our FAQ page at help.paramountplus.com .'  I checked the Paramount+ FAQ and have no idea what I am looking for and can't seem to find the section on how to solve this issue. This issue just started yesterday, 04/03/2024 and only with the FBI shows.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: VPN issue with Paramount+

Jump to solution

Some stations as a whole, and in some cases individual programs, are licensed to be displayed only in certain geographical regions.  Some channels will block access to region-limited programming when they detect you are accessing them through a VPN which masks your actual location and prevents determining whether you are in an authorized region.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X

View solution in original post

RokuElmer-H
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi, @brandnew2503!

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community!

We understand that you are having trouble watching an FBI show on Paramount Plus. You mentioned that you have already tried some troubleshooting steps but are still facing the issue. Please note that some content may have playback issues or not playback at all due to geolocation restrictions. If you are using a VPN network on your Roku device, it may be causing the problem. To fix this, ensure that your Roku device is not using the VPN network. 

Note: If you are unsure how to check or disable the VPN on your network, we recommend reaching out to your internet provider for further assistance.

Thanks,
Elmer

Elmer H.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
RokuBernie-D
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @duker1,

We appreciate you posting here in the Roku Community!

Thanks for sharing your concern about the Paramount+ channel with us. We are happy to assist you with this.

We'd like to know more information so we can resolve this issue.

1. What Roku device has the issue?
  2. Is this happening to one channel or in multiple channels?
  3. Have you done a troubleshooting to fix the issue? If not, I suggest you Remove, Restart, and Re-install the channel if you experience this with only a specific channel. For detailed troubleshooting, you can visit our support page to learn how to resolve a channel playback issue.

Please let us know if the issue is fixed or reply to the thread for further assistance. We will be glad to help you.

Thanks,
Bernie

Bernie D.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Some stations as a whole, and in some cases individual programs, are licensed to be displayed only in certain geographical regions.  Some channels will block access to region-limited programming when they detect you are accessing them through a VPN which masks your actual location and prevents determining whether you are in an authorized region.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X

Jump to solution

I'm having this same issue. The VPN error message only comes up when trying to watch any of the three FBI shows. I have removed the app, reset the wifi, I even hard reset my roku device and I'm still seeing the error. I do not get an error message when using the paramount+ app on my phone which is connected to the same wifi. This tells me this is a Roku specific issue. I have two Roku devices and they both are showing the error. 

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

same issue just FBI but can stream from my phone or computer over the same WiFi 

0 Kudos
RokuElmer-H
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi, @brandnew2503!

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community!

We understand that you are having trouble watching an FBI show on Paramount Plus. You mentioned that you have already tried some troubleshooting steps but are still facing the issue. Please note that some content may have playback issues or not playback at all due to geolocation restrictions. If you are using a VPN network on your Roku device, it may be causing the problem. To fix this, ensure that your Roku device is not using the VPN network. 

Note: If you are unsure how to check or disable the VPN on your network, we recommend reaching out to your internet provider for further assistance.

Thanks,
Elmer

Elmer H.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos