Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Update making colors appear too red, too rich

Jump to solution

Roku does have an "issue tracking board", which is simply a section of this forum. I just checked it and don't see this issue being tracked. https://community.roku.com/t5/Issue-Tracking-Board/bd-p/Known-issues

@RokuAustin how about adding this issue to the tracker? This is a legitimate issue that the users could really benefit from some up to date information about any progress being accomplished. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
MisterFix
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

The page title for this thread says this is “Solved” so that probably needs to be changed.

0 Kudos
uncletim
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Not fixed OS 12.5?

0 Kudos
1DayAfterAnothe
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I'm on that version and, although I stripped the color header of all the files in the past....I recent bought a DVD series that I converted to HEVC 480p... Put them on plex (forgot to strip the color header) and it was RED all over the place....went back and stripped the color header and red was gone. At this point I don't think it's ever going to be fixed

0 Kudos
Emissary35
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I don't know why this topic is marked as "Solved" because this issue certainly is not fixed!

I am having the same issue on my Roku Streaming Stick 4K putting out extremely high contrast and red color saturation when Streaming HEVC mkv files from the Plex app.

Anytime I play one of my HEVC mkv files on the current 2022 model Roku Streaming Stick 4K I have an issue where the color looks very red especially on people's skin. I have two Roku Streaming Stick 4K players, exact same model and it's happening on both of them. This issue only happens when I play HEVC mkv files, when I play HEVC mp4 files those all look fine.

When I play the very same HEVC mkv files on my two 2017 model Roku Ultra players all the videos look fine, no high contrast or red color for the mkv files.  Those files also look fine when I stream them on the Plex app for my two Fire TV devices. So there is definitely nothing wrong with the files themselves if other devices can display them correctly.

It's really irritating me that a Roku Ultra model from 6 years ago can stream these videos and they look perfectly normal but the current 2022 model Roku Streaming Stick 4K makes the videos look like garbage. How does this happen? Somebody screwed up and this needs to be addressed.

It can't be the latest Roku operating system that is the problem because I'm running the latest version on my Roku Streaming Stick 4K devices as well as my Roku Ultra devices. It must be a hardware related issue specific to the Streaming Sticks and it needs to be resolved.

Roku needs an update to fix this immediately because this is completely unacceptable! When are you going to do something about this Roku?

0 Kudos
RokuEuniceL
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi Community Users!

Greetings from the Roku Community!

We regret to hear about this. Allow us to look further into this issue, but we need more details. Please provide us with the following information:

1. Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About).
  2. Does this issue occur on a specific channel? If so, what channel and what version or build is it? (This can be found by selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button.)
  3. Tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue, press the Home button five times, followed by the Back button five times, and provide us with this ID).
  4. Troubleshooting steps you have taken to try resolving the issue.

We'll be waiting for your response.
Best regards,
Eunice

Eunice L.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Gordo74
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Toss my name on this pile. All SDR HEVC content on Plex is getting forced HDR and color is way too over red saturated. The only way I can get around it is by either forcing DV on all the time in the Roku device settings (which looks bad on other native content) which is also ludicrous. No issue on this tv with the same settings using the native tv apps or non Roku device. Shame that this seems pervasive. Looks like I’ll be returning my Ultra.

0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

A warm welcome here in the Roku Community, @Gordo74!

We appreciate you reaching out for support and we'd be glad to assist.

In this instance, kindly provide us the details requested by @RokuEuniceL above to be forwarded to the relevant team for further review.

We'll be anticipating your response!

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Gordo74
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Yeah… I’ll be honest Carly, I think you have enough people in this thread who have provided those details over and over and over and it still hasn’t been fixed. I’d rather just return my Roku. Sure hope you guys fix it.

roku ultra 2022, Sony a8h set to 4K HDR DV, Plex, HEVC or MPEG2 files.

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Thanks for keeping us posted, @Gordo74 

To ensure that we can provide updates to the appropriate Roku team, all information from a Roku user who has experienced that same issue is important for us to collect. We also want to apologize for any inconvenience this has caused, and we'll do our best for this issue to be addressed.

Any information provided would be appreciated.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos