Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Illithid

Ultra 4800R - All media stalls/fails at loading

Ultra 4800R, will not playback any media, worked fine two or three weeks ago. Hardwired connection, xfinity ISP. Internet check good/great. All other devices connected to router completely functional. System restarted several times, issue persists. Software up to date, 10.5 build. Still fails when connected to hotspot.

I discovered the ONLY time media will actually play is if I system restart (Home 5x, up, rwd 2x, fwd 2x) then move through the menus as quickly as possible to play the content. This allows me to watch a single piece of content before having to repeat the process. I can scan through the playing media as normal, but if I choose another title, the system load screen clocks/stalls.

---------------------------------------

Below is the transcript of my interaction with support:

Me: 4800R, will not playback any media, worked fine a week ago. Hardwire connection, xfinity provider. Internet check good/great. All other devices connected to router completely functional. System restarted several times, issue persists. Software up to date. Wired connection 81Mbps. Wireless 211Mbps.
Me: Media never begins playing
Me: All channels affected
Roku: Sorry for that! May I know is there any error message displayed on the screen when you are trying to access these channels?
Me: Depends on the app. Shudder stops at 99% loading. Sling TV has error message saying temporarily unable to load.
Roku: Okay. On the home screen, to the top do you see any thing stating not connected?
Me: No
Roku: Okay! Thank you for that information. Can you try going to settings>network and try connecting back to your wi-fi again please!
Me: Wifi is connected
Roku: Okay! Can you please turn off your TV from the power source and unplug the power cable from the power source. Once done try turning off the wi-fi router as well.
Roku: Once done try turning on your router from the power source and once all the lights on your router are turned on then turn on the Tv. Then try connecting the TV to the wi-fi and check if that works or not!
Me: Unit is an Ultra, not a roku tv
Roku: Sorry for that!
Roku: So unplug the power cable of your Roku ultra from the power source and follow the rest same!
Me: Shudder channel is playing the content that appears when the app is opened. It will not play any other media of my choosing.
Me: Sling TV will not play any media
Going back to Shudder channel, now opening content is not loading
Roku: Any error message displayed on the screen?
Me: Stops loading at 99%, no error message
Roku: Sorry to hear that! Can you try connecting your device to a different network like your mobile hotspot and check if that works.
Me: Testing
Roku: Thank you!
Me: Connected to hotspot, no media is loading from any channel
Me: Was there a recent Roku Ultra software update?
Roku: Yes there is an update. Can you check on your settings and try to update the software again and check!
Me: Software is on newest update. Is the new update causing the issue?
Me: Updated November 25
Roku: Okay! can you try to turn off the ultra from the power source and try to turn it on again and check!
Me: Still no media loading on channels
Roku: So there is no content playing on the Roku?
Me: Same situation as before

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Ultra 4800R - All media stalls/fails at loading

@Illithid

Thanks for the post.

It looks like you are in contact with our Support team. We would recommend continuing to work with them regarding your issue as they would best be able to assist you moving forward.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Deneb
Reel Rookie

I'm not sure of the model of his new Roku, but my 90-year-old friend is totally frustrated.  He has done ALL the recommendations - restarting, resetting, unplugging - then upgraded to a super high-speed service and modem - yet streaming services stall at the 99% loading screen.  He's talked to Wondrium twice, who walked through the same issues.  How do we contact Roku support, please?

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Deneb

Thanks for the post.

Can you please specify the issue you are experiencing? What are the steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing? Is this issue happening on a specific channel or does it happen across all channels? What specific troubleshooting steps have you already taken to try to resolve the issue?
With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Deneb
Reel Rookie

The Roku Model is Express 4K/4K/HDR.  It is getting its wifi signal from a Fibre+Gateway (XB6) modem with high transfer speeds.

After the usual Roku fixes of restarting and resetting (several times), he can stream either Wondrium or The Great Courses, but just once.  Next time he goes in and tries to open a course, he gets the spinning circle with 99%... and it won't load the content.  It just remains stuck there.

0 Kudos
Deneb
Reel Rookie

He also tried going into CBC to determine if it was a Wondrium/Great Courses problem, but the 99% load came up there, too.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Deneb

Thanks for the post.

For troubleshooting purposes, are you experiencing the same issue if you connect your Roku device to an alternate wireless network, such as a mobile hotspot?

Please keep us posted what you find out and we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos