Solving playback issues

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LQ619
Level 7

Re: USB Drive formatting on Mac suggestions to play 5 GB movies on Roku3

I have a Roku Ultra 4800X and the only way I was able to get it to work was to purchase a USB 2.0 drive and format it to NTFS on a Windows VM. You should be able to do this easily by downloading Virtual Box, and the Windows operating system from Microsoft. 

0 Kudos
Christian_
Level 7

Re: USB Drive formatting on Mac suggestions to play 5 GB movies on Roku3

Going back to one of the first responses, you can use a USB formatted in

"FAT32, NTFS, EXT2, EXT3, and HFS+ file systems". Any of these except FAT32 can handle very large file sizes.

As I'm sure you know, HFS+ is the Apple file system every Mac has used for over 20 years, so you should be able to format a USB as HFS+ on your Mac and then use it with the Roku. You've mentioned that this didn't work for you. I'm not sure why, since I just tried it, and it worked fine for me. Though I am using a TCL Roku TV.

I normally use a Windows machine so NTFS is the option I go with, but if needed I could go HFS+.

Just my $.02, but Roku definitely needs to get exFAT file system implemented on their devices.

0 Kudos