Solving playback issues

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lesmikesell
Level 13

Re: USB Drive formatting on Mac suggestions to play 5 GB movies on Roku3

Plex has improved somewhat over the past few years, but I agree that you probably should have the server on an ethernet connection.   And I agree about the usefulness of the Paragon driver for NTFS.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

There are numerous other options besides Plex as well, although they too would require a full time computer or NAS device running. Emby is an outstanding alternative to Plex, and I of course favor a straight DLNA server (Serviio). But there are dozens of DLNA servers available, and they'll run on Windows, Mac, Linux and many NAS devices. 

I use the DLNA method because a) I have many different TVs scattered throughout the house, and I want my media available on all of them, and b) I also have several computers that are always on, so no problem adding a media server package to one. 

And I'm not knocking Plex at all, as I use it as well. For me, it's to access my media while traveling. I carry a Roku Premiere with me when I travel, connect to the hotel WiFi, and then connect to my Plex server using the Roku. I haven't watched whatever the hotel has offered on their TV systems for years. 🙂

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
Yain13
Level 7

Thanks Mr Gadget - I've been looking for a solution to this problem for a while. The software you recommended works perfectly and my Roku tv can see my usb drive. Cheers!

0 Kudos
mrgadget
Level 8

Nice to see others' passion on the subject. Yes, there are numerous solutions, following the interests and experience from others. Keep weighing in, please. That is the only way readers will see the variety of possibilities, one of which is certain to be successful.

I can only report on what works for ME.

Thank you all for expressing your opinions and for sharing your suggestions. We can see a variety of options, from simple to more complicated.

I will stick with what I know works for me. You should all do the same. Do what works for YOU.

0 Kudos
StarlaBigsby
Level 7

Thanks for this info! I have been using an exFat formatted drive for a few years and just recently it acted up. ExFat was the only shared format for windows and mac. It stinks that ROKU doesn't include Mac users with any of the formatting, and shame on Apple too.

0 Kudos
madmak72
Level 7

I found a pretty easy fix for this.

I am Running an iMac with Catalina v10.15.7. I purchased a piece of software ($15) called Tuxera for mac. Fixes everything. This allows you to format drives with NTFS format from your mac Disc Utility and read/write from that drive. So, now you copy over files bigger than 4gig and my Roku 3 reads the drive data just fine.

Software Link:

https://ntfsformac.tuxera.com/get-support-for-ntfs-drives-on-macos-sierra/

Peace.

0 Kudos
mrgadget
Level 8

Thank you madmak72 for your thoughtful response. Yet another useful option that does not require persistent connection through a networked computer.

I like that your software solution is inexpensive and useful to Mac users at a cost that is less than the more robust Paragon software. Both will format a drive NTFS, so this is the first hurdle. Your suggestion is Mac-only. Will the NTFS drive created on a Mac mount on Windows 10 computers without special software? If not, this means that all operations need be done on the Mac. Not a problem for Mac-only users.

I want to hear from others on the topic with the objective of providing solutions for all computer users who wish to transfer compatible videos on a computer to external USB drives regardless of file size for connection and play on their Roku devices.

0 Kudos
madmak72
Level 7

Heya mrgadget

My response was strictly with a Macintosh as the principal machine. I have not owned a Windows machine for quite some time now. (I work in Graphic Design, just been around Macs since the 90s). So I have not connected my drive to one. The Roku however reads and access the files smoothly. 

Also, you are correct, the solution is one that does not depend on a computer in a server role. This is the situation I was looking for.

The subject matter of this thread helped me out with my issue greatly, just wanted to be sure to post up my fix. 

Cheers. 

0 Kudos
CarlosCinema
Level 8

Thanks muc!

0 Kudos
CarlosCinema
Level 8

Since I can't figure out how to edit a posted reply:  Thanks much!

0 Kudos