Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Laura0413

Tried installing a Roku streaming stick to my LG tv and it started smoking now doesn’t work thought

I attempted to set up a Roku streaming stick on my LG television and it started smoking.  Now doesn’t work what are my options m

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Tried installing a Roku streaming stick to my LG tv and it started smoking now doesn’t work thou

Hi @Laura0413,

Greetings from the Roku Community, and thanks for letting us know!

We understand you are having a problem with the Roku streaming stick since it is not working. We're happy to assist you further. We recommend running down the checklist below and seeing if you are able to resolve:

1. Carefully unplug the power cable from your Roku player and allow it to cool down.
  2. Find a cooler location for your Roku player; avoid placing the unit:
  • Inside a cabinet or other closed space;
  • On top of other electronic devices such as cable boxes, routers, or audio/video receivers,
  • In direct sunlight.

3. Wait at least 10 minutes for your Roku player to cool down. Once cooled, plug the power cable back in and wait for the Roku player to power on. If you still see the overheating message, then immediately unplug the power cable.

4. Repeat step 3 one more time. If the problem persists, then you should stop using your Roku player until you take further action. 

We hope this helps.

Best regards,
John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos

Re: Tried installing a Roku streaming stick to my LG tv and it started smoking now doesn’t work thou

it's important to prioritize safety. Unplug the streaming stick and do not attempt to use it again. Contact Roku's customer support immediately to report the issue and seek guidance on next steps. They may offer a replacement or refund depending on the circumstances. Additionally, if there was any damage to your TV, you may need to contact LG customer support for assistance. Always prioritize safety when dealing with electrical devices, and do not attempt to repair or use a device that has malfunctioned in this manner.

0 Kudos