Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Miffed
Reel Rookie

Total reset & registration and re-configuration is required every time to watch

Movie video blocked on every network - sound only - Total reset & registration to turn on.

Only Station water marks present w/sound.

This Roku Express 4k Model 3941x is the second 2nd one purchased and failure this year. 

This one SN: SOAH222HUCRY performed fine until the 30 day window return expired two weeks ago.

The first signs of failure were evident when the unit failed to turn on, resetting the power cable allows the unit to again respond to remote commands, however it either indicates a HDMI failure, or blocks network video while only allowing the networks water mark, and sound.

A total reset & registration and re-configuration is required every time to watch anything on these defective devices that barely last past their warranty  

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Total reset & registration and re-configuration is required every time to watch

@Miffed 

Since you have encountered this issue twice with two different Roku devices, try seeing if the setup may be a contributing factor.

1. From the Roku, go to Settings/System/Power/Auto Power Savings/20-min and select [Disable]

2. Try powering from the included power adapter and plug into wall rather than from your TV's USB power port if currently doing so.  An underpowered Roku device will result in some undesired behaviors/issues.  If currently using the provided power adapter, try using another 5volt 1 amp power adapter (any cell phone charging adapter should work).

3. Try using a different HDMI port on your TV. 

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
Miffed
Reel Rookie

Re: Total reset & registration and re-configuration is required every time to watch

Thanks AVSGunnar.

Disabling the power saving is keeping the volatile memory permissions active.

Which means the degradation of a cap or battery. Inevitability of the components failure, will eventually result in total program loss every time there's a power disruption, for this reason I  cannot recommend anyone buying this device with what is obviously a bad design flaw.

Again, Thank You for Your Advice.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@Miffed 

Regardless of whether the Power Savings is enabled or not, try pressing the Home button on your Roku remote if you notice the Roku is not responsive to remote commands.  Once the device has entered into a sleep mode (or a low power mode), the Home button needs to be pressed to "wake up" the device again.

If you are not doing so already, would suggest using wall power for powering the Roku device.  Using the TV USB port for power can contribute to some wonky/negative effects on the Roku devices since they may be underpowered.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
Miffed
Reel Rookie

This device's wall adapter as well as all connections and cables are sound...

This units home screen button, and the remote function perfectly...

The Roku functioned without any issues for more than a day, until we experienced a short power outage, then it went back to its default power settings, and resumed its network ID watermarks w/no sound, Hence,, another Total Reset & Reprogram....

So Regardless of what button you might believe isn't being pushed, it's completely obvious it Is a Volatile Memory Issue that is required for signature video.

My Assertion Is,,, The Design Is Probably Sound, It's a Quality Control Problem When Substandard Parts Are Utilized, Resulting in what I've purchased twice,, Krap, except This time I can't get a refund.

FIRE STICK IS NEXT.... 

Thanks for your interest...

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Hi @Miffed

We're sorry to hear about the issue you're experiencing.

I have passed your information and concern to our Support team. I'd recommend keeping an eye on your email since they will be reaching out to you from there.

Your patience and understanding are greatly appreciated.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos