Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
panagon
Channel Surfer

The Roku Channel Freezes After Ads on Movies

Jump to solution

Use to watch movies heavily on The Roku Channel, however in the past few weeks I can no longer watch a movie as they all freeze after they hit their first ad segment. This happens to me on 3 different Roku devices: Roku TV, Streaming Stick+ and Express. I have uninstalled the app and re-installed it which allows me to resume the movie to be halted at the next ad break. This makes your app completely useless for your ad supported content. 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
panagon
Channel Surfer

Re: The Roku Channel Freezes After Ads on Movies

Jump to solution

I've finally solved this issue for myself. After using a friends Roku Channel at his house and seeing the issue did not exist for me I figured it had to be something unique to my network. I have an eero mesh network and it has built in "Ad blocking" that you can turn on and off..

The issue is the popup interactive ads roku uses, these are being blocked by my eero which ultimately freezes the entire app when blocked. Upon disabling ad blocking the roku channel no longer freezes. This makes sense since the type of interactive ads that are being blocked have only been used for a few months by Roku. 

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24
mgsrn
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I'm having the same frustration but with the streaming shows, such as Without a Trace,  on the Roku Channel.  It's not a buffering problem and no other streaming channels give me this trouble.  Fix it, please!

panagon
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Same! Anything I watch outside of their Live TV gives me this issue and its upsetting so many movies on The Roku Channel I'd like to watch.

Paul9
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I am having the same problem using two different Roku devices, Roku 3 and Roku Ultra. It will freeze on the Roku channel before and at the end of a commercial. If I fast forward then go back to select the show and select resume, it will generally start again. It is very difficult to watch any show on the Roku Channell.

sirk

Jump to solution

I’m having the same issue watching Without a Trace. The Proactiv ad will start up with sound and no picture and freezes at the same part every time. I have to back out the show and come back and then rewatch a few more ads. If the Proactiv ad comes on again I have to start all over. 
It’s only this ad that causes issues and I can’t find anywhere to report this directly to Roku. 

Jerryri
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Ditto for me, frequent freezing during commercials. Fix it please!

rosef

Jump to solution

It's pretty bad when the only app on Roku devices that you can't watch because it keeps reloading & freezing up all the time on the commercials so much that you quit watching anything on there is Roku's own channel app. When can we expect some improvement?

panagon
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I still have this issue, even on my new Ultra. Confirmed my other friends with Roku devices do not, so it's almost like my account is bugged. I do not have this issue watching on demand content with ads from Pluto TV, tubi, peacock, etc. 

panagon
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I've finally solved this issue for myself. After using a friends Roku Channel at his house and seeing the issue did not exist for me I figured it had to be something unique to my network. I have an eero mesh network and it has built in "Ad blocking" that you can turn on and off..

The issue is the popup interactive ads roku uses, these are being blocked by my eero which ultimately freezes the entire app when blocked. Upon disabling ad blocking the roku channel no longer freezes. This makes sense since the type of interactive ads that are being blocked have only been used for a few months by Roku. 

Paul9
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

This solution resolved my problem too! Thank you!!