Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SpankyBird
Reel Rookie

The CW Displaying Only 1/4 to 1/3 Picture on Express+

I have three Roku Express+ units (Model 3910 era), all connected via composite cable to older CRT television sets. After the OS 10.5 update, the CW channel will only display 1/4 to 1/3 of the screen. This is not an issue on my Ultra unit connected via HDMI cable, so it has to be related to the composite connection. I have tried unplugging, restarting, etc., etc., but nothing works. This leads me to believe there's a software compatibility issue, but I'm not sure which software - OS or channel. Would appreciate any assistance in resolving the issue. Thanks!

0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: The CW Displaying Only 1/4 to 1/3 Picture on Express+

@SpankyBird

Thanks for the post.

Is this issue happening specifically on the CW channel or does it happen across all channels?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
SpankyBird
Reel Rookie

It's only happening with The CW. Again, it's been since the recent Roku 10.5 OS update, and only happening with Ultra Plus units (Model 3910 era) connected to older CRT television sets via the composite cable.

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @SpankyBird,

Thanks for the follow-up.

If you're still experiencing an issue, try to remove the channel, update the Roku device by going to Settings > System > System update > Check now, restart your Roku device, and add back the channel. If the issue still persists, we suggest you reach out to the channel partner directly.

Please keep us posted on what you find out.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Bogie1
Reel Rookie

Only the Cw app only displays 1/4 size at left

I have the express roku on a tube TV . The CW app use to work fine. Then it started to only displays a 1/4 screen size. How do I get it back to work in full screen.?

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Re: Only the Cw app only displays 1/4 size at left

Hi @Bogie1

Thanks for the post.

In some cases, removing the channel then re-installing it may help. To ensure the process is successful, make sure to restart your device before adding the channel back in. We would recommend doing this from the Settings menu by navigating to Settings > System > Power (If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step.) > System restart.

For detailed instructions, refer to this Support link: How do I resolve channel playback issues?

Let us know how it goes!

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Ree1

I also am having this issue with the Roku Express + since the update.  I have older TVs and can't afford new ones, and they have stopped selling the Roku Express + with the composite cords; the one I need. I. However, tried the remedy suggested and it did not work. What else do ya got?

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Ree1

Thanks for the post.

Can you please specify the issue you are experiencing? What Roku model are you using and which cable are you using to connect your Roku device to your TV?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
SpankyBird
Reel Rookie

Read the original post. All the information you need is there.

0 Kudos
Michelle3
Roku Guru

@SpankyBird 

I only have one Roku Express+ unit and it is the same model number as you.  It is connected to my old Magnavox CRT set model TS2756-C102, mfd. Sept. 1994, through one of my switchers connected to my old Sharp HiFi VCR, mfd. June 1991.  What are the brands/models of your CRT sets?

~ Jordan

I’m into videotapes and old electronics stuff, including extenders, converters and analog 4:3 TV sets (which are obsolete these days), and Miss Bianca is my favorite character in Disney’s The Rescuers (1977) and its sequel, The Rescuers Down Under (1990). I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos