Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jateci
Reel Rookie

TV screen goes black after watching but still have sound

Recently my TV (vizio) screen goes black while using my roku device. I purchased a new device (roku stick 4k) but problem remains. I can turn the TV off and back on and picture comes back but disappears after about 20 minutes. Any suggestions for reason or a fix?

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: TV screen goes black after watching but still have sound

Are you actively watching a video (not paused and not on the screensaver) when this happens?  Are you using the supplied power adapter and not the TV's USB port?

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Jateci
Reel Rookie

I am watching TV on the Spectrum app and the screen goes black after some time. I have sound but no picture  and I am using the supplied power adapter.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Jateci

Thanks for the post.

Have you tried using another HDMI input on your TV? Does this issue only occur when using the Spectrum channel or does it happen across all channels?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Jateci
Reel Rookie

So my screen goes black buy audio still in play. I turn off my TV and when I turn it back on, receive this message "HDCP error detected". I did everything the message told me. Today is the first day I was able to read the message before it went away. Following the steps did not stop the problem. It only happens when using roku and I've used Roku this tv for years and this is the first time this has happened 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Jateci
Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide us with the answers to our previous reply so we can better understand the issue you are experiencing?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Jateci
Reel Rookie

I have tried another input and even purchased another Roku. It seems to happen mostly with the Spectrum app but on rare occasions others.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Jateci

Thanks for the post.

If the issue is occurring vastly the time on the Spectrum channel, this may indicate that the issue lies within the channel itself. Have you already tried reaching out to the channel provider to see what insight they can provide you? Many channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel provider themselves. 

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos