Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

TCL Roku TV - Netflix constantly goes back to home screen

HI @_Jeff_,

A warm welcome here in the Roku Community!
We understand you're having a problem with your channels crashing. We're happy to assist you, but we will need to gather more details. Do you have cellular data, so we can try connecting your Roku TV to your hotspot?

We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Thanks,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
alantagne

this literally happens on all 3 of my roku tvs with netflix and disney plus. it drives me insane

0 Kudos
Mquintenz
Reel Rookie

Clearing the cache is just a temporary fix! The true fix is to log into your Netflix account and uncheck "Auto play previews while browsing on all devices" under Playback Settings found under each profile. This has been the best fix for me and has been life changing! 

0 Kudos
boopster00
Channel Surfer

Yep, a new TV is in your near future. My previous TCL did this, too. It has nothing to do with apps not working correctly; it has to do with the TV itself. If you google it, you'll find that TCLs have a habit of losing their video, while keeping the audio. If you're into radio shows, it's great. But it leaves a lot to be desired if you're watching something with a lot of action in it. Good luck, and I wish you the best. I was stupid and bought another TCL. Sigh....

Musiclover1
Binge Watcher

@RokuTakashi 

Hi Kash,

Since many of us have sent over your requested information (device model, device ID, software, etc), when do you think we can expect any sort of update or resolution to this issue? Netflix continues to crash MULTIPLE days a day (going back to the Home Screen), as well as Prime Video. This has been going on for months. 

Thank you.

0 Kudos
jwserichards
Channel Surfer

Same. This is nothing new. Netflix has always been terrible on Roku. Always. 

0 Kudos

I had this happen for the first time today and it was the weirdest thing! I tried clearing cache, checking for updates on the TV AND Netflix, removed and deleted the app and only one thing worked for me. I logged into Netflix on my computer, started watching the show I kept trying to watch from the beginning (none of the others worked, even previously watched) and then I waited long enough for it to show on my "Continue Watching" section. After that, I restarted the app again on my TV, opened Netflix, resumed playing the show and for some reason, it started working. No idea why that worked but it did. 

0 Kudos
TylerTCL
Reel Rookie

It’s been nearly a year, and I’m seeing the same official replies of “we’ve passed on the info” from Roku, with no actual update.

For the record, I tried out my Uncle’s Roku 2 last week. Same issue. Couldn’t watch Netflix, and gave up after 20 minutes of repeated crashes.

Such a shame. There’s a lot to love about Roku. But for a 20+ year old company, this is unacceptable. I might reevaluate in 10 years. Hopefully if they’re not bankrupt or irrelevant by then, it’s because they managed to fix their products. Until that time, I’m avoiding Roku like the plague. I’m sure my friends and family will too.

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: TCL Roku TV - Netflix constantly goes back to home screen

Hi Community users,

Thank you for reporting this issue to the Roku Community!

We're sorry to hear that you've been having trouble with playing content on the Netflix channel on your TCL Roku TV. Please give us the following information:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • What version or build is the channel (this can be found by selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)?
  •  Tracker ID (when you see this issue occur, using your Roku remote's microphone button, say "Get Tracker ID," or press Home 5x and Back 5x in quick succession
  • What troubleshooting steps have you taken so far to try to resolve the issue?

Once we have this information, we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
pigzX1128

Re: Netflix Crashing on Roku and TV not responding 2024

Bought my Roku SmartTV in July 2022;; it has been a reoccurring problem since day one of Netflix either (1)freezes (2)crashes & about 1/5 times you open/Re-open/reboot the Netflix ap; it will freeze tv & then the “error” flash starts on the standby light(white led on bttm center of tv) then the entire tv system shuts down & reboots;; usually about a 5-10min process. I’ve reboot the ap several times; we have automatic updates set up && we have the highest tier of internet ((direct line connection into tv)) it is ONLY Netflix that does this && it happens on both my smart tv in the family room && the roku devices we have on our kids tv & ours & my mother in law as well as the device we bought for my grandmother… what’s up? Is this a Roku issue or a Netflix issue?? Does this happen to everyone else the same way? As stated this only happens on my Roku devices not the apps on my other devices or fire stick we had before! Thank you! I really hope to resolve this because it’s infuriating && otherwose I LOVE Roku💜💜💜 but I don’t want to deal with it on the next smart tv I get…

0 Kudos