Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bertb32003
Reel Rookie

Switches itself to HULU ?

I have had this same problem since replacing my old Roku streaming sticks (2 of them) with the newer Roku Streaming Stick +.

And I don't see how the reply to the original post can be listed as a solution as it didn't solve Greg M's problem.

My Roku is intermittently switching itself to the add Hulu channel screen, completely on its own, without any accidental touches. And this is happening to both of my Roku Streaming Stick + systems, and neither of them is dirty at all.

0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Switches itself to HULU ?

Hi @bertb32003

Please accept our warmest greetings here in the Roku Community!

We appreciate you for reaching out to us here and sharing this information. May we know when you first noticed this issue started to occur? Additionally, does your Roku open the Hulu or only adds the channel? Also, have you tried removing the Hulu channel on your channel tiles?

Tell us more about this so we may be able to assist you further.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
bertb32003
Reel Rookie

Hi Kash, thanks...

Both of my Roku Streaming Stick + system's remotes have been automatically opening Hulu on their own (or now the add Hulu channel screen) for maybe 3 years.

And yes, I did remove the Hulu channel and now they automatically open the add Hulu channel screen.

Thanks,

Bert

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's commonly reported, always hulu, never launches any other app, the button is never touched, I have 3 ultras and each has exhibited the problem. Intermittent enough (for me) that I haven't trashed them, but it's a problem that Roku doesn't acknowledge. 

Please work with just one of your customers with a reasonably reproduceable recurring problem and solve this once and for all.

(I used to subscribe to Hulu and at that time, it launched the app. I uninstalled the channel so it now just offers to install and launch Hulu with the option to exit (abort). I doubt that uninstalling the app is what Hulu intended as the result of adding that button to the remote.)

RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @bertb32003 @Anonymous ,

Thanks for keeping us posted.

What troubleshooting steps have you done so far? Have you tried performing a system restart to see if you notice any difference? Additionally, what OS version is your Roku streaming device?

Let us know so we can collect more information about this and investigate further.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
bertb32003
Reel Rookie

Hi again Kash,

Yes I have done system restarts but the problem is so intermittent that it cannot be determined if that helps. If it does help it would only be a temporary help. 

My Roku Software version is: 12.0.0 build 4184-50

Model: 3811X - Roku Streaming Stick+

Thanks,

Bert

NVKG

I have the same issue with the set top ROKU Ultra box 4670.  Every now and then it just chnages to the HULU channel without any input from the controls.  Not frequent enough to be a problem, but surprising and annoying.   I think HULU paid ROKU to program in this feature!

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @bertb32003 @NVKG,

Thanks for posting here in the Roku Community and providing the information regarding your concern with the Hulu channel.

We would be more than happy to look into this issue to resolve it, and we'll need more information. Can you please provide us with the following information:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version. (These can all be found in Settings > System > About).
  • Does this issue occur specifically on the Hulu channel? If so, what version/build is the channel? (This can be found by selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button).
  • Tracker ID when this issue occurs. (When you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with this ID).
  • Steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

The information you provide is essential for us to further investigate this.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Calwxguy

I just purchased a new ultra because oh this issue that began 3/8/2024.  I replaced because it switched to Hulu sign up and no matter what was done could you change the screen. 

Now it has done it once today but can clear it.  The Hulu channel has been removed, but shows up anyway.  

This is definitely a software issue with Roku not hardware.

0 Kudos
bertb32003
Reel Rookie

Yes, and my Roku stick is still doing the same thing. 

I made my original post, oh maybe a year or so ago and I was contacted by support and was asked to send them reports via pressing the remote home button 5 times in a row (or was it 4) then press the return button the same number of times, then allow the issue report to be sent.

Well I did send those reports each time the Hulu screen inextricably appeared (intermittently after pressing the remote right arrow (>) and I never heard back from them again and the issue wasn't fixed.

It's still happening. 

0 Kudos