Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jcgc50
Roku Guru

Streaming Stick 4K Overheating?

Jump to solution

I currently have a Streaming Stick+ which even with an HDMI extender will overheat occasionally when streaming 4K content.

I'm thinking of buying the Streaming Stick 4K and to be clear not the 4K +. Is that one prone to overheating with or without an extender.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Harlan
Reel Rookie

Re: Streaming Stick 4K Overheating?

Jump to solution

I tested both my old stick+ and the new stick 4k and the 4k does seem to control temperature a little better. Stick+ reached as high as 80 degrees while the 4k never went above the 60's. 

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
Harlan
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I tested both my old stick+ and the new stick 4k and the 4k does seem to control temperature a little better. Stick+ reached as high as 80 degrees while the 4k never went above the 60's. 

RCW
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Anyone actually tried getting Roku to help with the overheating. All I get is a huge run around. 

Seems having something that you sell that can overheat and cause a fire might be something they would care about.

jcgc50
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

The only thing I'm aware of is sending out a free HDMI extension cable and I don't know if that has fixed it or not. I try not to use the extension because sometimes the TV won't recognize the device when plugged in with it.

Just got the 4K model today 3820X and hoping it won't be a problem. No one replied that it was.

0 Kudos
jcgc50
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Since no one else replied I decided to buy one and got mine today. Here's hoping. So far, I've finished the setup, and other than a couple of restarts which made no sense I haven't had a problem. Will be watching some 4K HDR content tonight on Showtime and see what happens.

Thanks for your reply.

Jim

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts.
For more information about overheating and what steps to do when you see this issue, we would recommend taking a look at our Support page here: Fix an overheating issue

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
RCW
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Already have the extender for the stick. Doesn't help. Have the actual stick hanging in the air below the tv with nothing arounds it. Still gets hot wot. With the sheer volume of online complaints on multiple sites it appears that Roku is selling junk that is poorly designed. There extension fix just seems to be stall tactic to hope people just give up and hopefully buy a newer version or just move along and stop complaining.

Samsung pulled this a few years ago with a refrigerator that kept freezing up. There being sued now. 

Maybe it's time for a Class Action Suit against Roku to. Nothing else seems to get them to help.

jcgc50
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@RCW wrote:

Already have the extender for the stick. Doesn't help. Have the actual stick hanging in the air below the tv with nothing arounds it. Still gets hot wot. With the sheer volume of online complaints on multiple sites it appears that Roku is selling junk that is poorly designed. There extension fix just seems to be stall tactic to hope people just give up and hopefully buy a newer version or just move along and stop complaining.

Is this the Streaming Stick+ or the new Streaming Stick 4K, which is what I've posted about? My Streaming+ does overheat occasionally but I've now watched several 4kUHD HDR shows that hasn't caused a problem with the newer model.

0 Kudos
Harlan
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

It's ok for computer chips to run hot. All chips will shut themselves off once they exceed a certain temperature. I have not heard of any documented risk of fire with the streaming stick+.

If you are concerned about the heat or want to stream for very long periods, I'd recommend the newer roku stick 4k, or one of the bigger express/premier/ultra models. Those all run much cooler and can stream all day without issues.

0 Kudos
Bobbear
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Is there a recall on the streaming stick 4K mine is overheating too.I thought it was about to catch fire so I unplugged it from the outlet and tv.

0 Kudos