Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shw3esq

Sounds keeps cutting out on Roku express

I am having the same problem. The Roku Community reply I saw says to try another cable to connect to the Roku & TV.  So are we to assume that everyone who is having this problem has cable issues as opposed to the obvious culprit - the Roku device itself???  Seriously, I'm willing to bet that most folks have different cables made by different companies.  But we all have the Roku device.  Hmmmm...

0 Kudos
17 REPLIES 17
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Sounds keeps cutting out on Roku express

Hi, @shw3esq

Thanks for posting, and welcome to the Roku Community.

We appreciate you for sharing this information with us, and we'd like to gather more details for us to assist you further. Is this cutting of sounds/audio on your Roku device happen with a specific channel, or throughout the Roku platform? Also, what steps have you taken so far in an attempt to resolve the issue? Further, what specific Roku model and device are you having issues with?

The more detailed information you provide, the better we can determine the issue and assist further.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
RandiJ
Channel Surfer

I also have a Roku Express and have tried all the options I can find to fix it. 
The Express is new, just purchased in 2023.

The sound cuts out when there is no dialogue on screen.

Then comes back when there is dialogue - but you can hear the weird pause in sound because all the background sound in a show goes completely quite. Things like footsteps walking, or background noise as such. 

I've changed cables, restarted, unpluged and restarted, reset my network connection, and still the issue persists. 

It's also happened before. It seems to happen on and off. I do all the above, and something fixes it finally, but nothing is working this time. The last time it happened I unpluged it a couple of times and then it seemed fine. Another time it happened, I only had to do the restart and it fixed it. This time I did the restart, and unplugged, and I've even tried a new cable. Nothing is working. It's been happening over the last year and the issue reoccurs. It's kinda driving me crazy. 

Why does this keep happening? How can I get this fixed so it stays fixed? Please help. 

Device type: Roku Express 4K+

Added: Apr 1, 2023

0 Kudos
RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hello! @RandiJ,

We are sending you a warm welcome from the Roku Community!

Thank you for reaching out to us. We're happy to help.

• Do you have any other Roku devices?
  • If yes, are the other Roku device(s) experiencing the same issue with the audio?
  • Do you have any other device(s) connected to your TV? (e.g. speakers and other sound systems)

Please keep us posted on what you find out, and we will be happy to continue assisting you further. We look forward to hearing back from you.

Thanks,

Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
RandiJ
Channel Surfer

The Roku express is the only item connected to this TV, and I don't have any other Roku devices at this time. The Roku software is up to date - I always double check that first. This is not the first time the sound issue has happened. I can recall at least 2 others - making this one the third since April. 

0 Kudos
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

@RandiJ,

Thanks for the update!

Could you tell us what specific channel or content you're seeing this issue occur on? Is this an intermittent case or does it happen often?

Keep us posted!

Thanks,
Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
RandiJ
Channel Surfer

It happens on ALL streaming channels, and like I said before, once it starts it's constant on every show on every steaming channel on this roku. I was able to get it to stop the previous 2 times it did this by unplugging the roku and then plugging back in, doing a restart on the device a couple time, or resetting to factor settings. But this is the 3rd time it's happened since April 2023. And nothing is working this time including changing the HDMI cable. 

Basically you go to watch a show on any of the streaming services and the sounds cuts out when their is no dialogue or music on screen. So quite senes with just background noice. Nature sounds, foosteps, etc. So 2 people talking on screen and the sounds cuts out when ever they pause. It's really noticeable and very annoying. It's not subtile at all. For example I"m watching an action movie where they are under water. There are water sounds constantly and even just background noise. But if they pause speaking, the sound cuts out and it's complete silence as if it mutes all sound. Then they start taking again and you can hear what they say, but ever pause, even just a couple of seconds between someone talking it goes completely silent - like on mute or something. And before you ask, no it's not the show. It does it on any type of show on ALL of my streaming networks. Hulu, Netflix, Max, Paramount, Peacock. ALL of them. 

The only constant is the Roku because I even tried a different TV and it still happened.

I've searched online and I am not the only one this happens too. I see tons of posts out there about the same thing. I did a search for "roku sound cuts out when no dialogue on tv" and there are a lot of posts about this issue. You just flip through all the posts and you'll see. . 

So in summary. 
Software is up to date. 
I've unplugged for 2-10 minutes (even overnight once)
I've done the in system power restart
I've check my wifi network which is super strong and this roku sits right next to the xfinity gateway - so it's not that. 
I've restarted my xifinity gateway
I've changed the HDMI cable and tried my other small tv

This keeps happening. How do I fix it for good. 

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi, @RandiJ

Thanks for keeping us updated.

We would be more than happy to look into this case and we'll need more information. Can you please provide us with the following information:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version. (These can all be found in Settings > System > About).
  • Tracker ID when this issue occurs. (When you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with this ID).
  • A photo or video clip referring to the issue,

Once we have this information, we will be able to investigate further. We look forward to hearing a response. 

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
RandiJ
Channel Surfer

3941X Roku Express 4K+
S#  X01600CHHFVJ 
Software Version 12.5.0 Build 4178-CR
Device ID S07P21DHHFVJ

Report Tracker ID page shows the above plus this info
GC version 10.4.45
Timestamp 2024-01-09T01:09:32Z
Issue ID VJ-011-589

I uploaded the video to Dropbox. I didn't see a way to upload it here. You can view it at
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/ib4hhicd9gqpso15b62cq/IMG_6015.MOV?rlkey=eh68auobcfgkf8yijisqfgfws&dl...

It's noticeable about every couple of seconds in the hallway intro when there is no sounds accept background noise, and when she pauses talking. 

The background has a white noise static type sound that completely vanishes every few seconds. 
And if you listen to the dialogue, when she pauses between sentences you'll notice the background go silent again. 

This video shows it happening tons of times times in 1 minute. 

Please let me know you got this and the video. 
I'll wait to hear from you. 

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Thanks for keeping us posted, @RandiJ

We appreciate you for providing the requested information. We'll forward this to the appropriate Roku team for this case to be reviewed, Once more information is gathered, we'll provide an update here.

We hope for your patience and understanding as we work on this.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos