Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pinchbrain
Binge Watcher

Sound is going up to the max volume on its own. I can't turn it down.

It's not the remote. I took the batteries out. I did a factory reset and a power reset and it's still doing it. I saw some old threads from a couple of years ago with people having the exact problem and it wasn't just for my brand of TV (TCL). Is there anything I can do? The TV is worthless at the moment. That clicking sound of the volume continuously going up is so loud. 

0 Kudos
25 REPLIES 25
TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

Re: Sound is going up to the max volume on its own. I can't turn it down.

Roku doesn’t make TV’s So if your having issues and under warranty you need to contact TCL. I own two TCL Roku TV’s with no issues. Can you elaborate more on the situation? such as when does occur what channel are you using? Exactly what are you watching when this happens? Doesn’t happen when you’re sitting on the Home Screen? Or doesn’t happen when you only use a certain channel? Did you try to enable volume leveling?

0 Kudos
pinchbrain
Binge Watcher

It happens the moment the TV is turned on and it reaches the home screen. It doesn't matter what channel it's on.

0 Kudos
pinchbrain
Binge Watcher

It's also very hard to select anything. It'll move twice for most clicks for example. It'll scroll through lists on its own. It does this on the home screen and on different channels.

0 Kudos
TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

How are you controlling the TV now since you removed the batteries? Did you put them back? If you watch something and remove the batteries does it still happen? How old is your TV? If it is under warranty then I suggest you contact TCL. If you have a smartphone you can download the Roku Official remote app. Sounds to me now that you are adding more into the picture that your remote is no good. Especially the slow behavior scrolling around. 

0 Kudos
pinchbrain
Binge Watcher

When I first turned on the TV and saw it was continuously turning the volume up to 100, I took the batteries out to see if the remote was the cause. The TV was still turning the volume up even with the batteries out of the remote. The TV is 3-4 years old. I saw some old threads on this site with people having this issue and there were other TV brands than mine with the issue so I hope it's not the TV itself.

TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

3-4 years old is out of warranty unfortunately. If you performed a factory reset and tried other things you just may need to bite the bullet and buy a new TV. 3-4 years is not all the bad either. TV's do not last like old tube ones. TV's are not repairable anymore either like most newer devices. Throw them out and buy a new one. So you completely started off from scratch by going into settings and selecting factory reset? 

0 Kudos
pinchbrain
Binge Watcher

Yeah, I did a factory reset.

TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

What is the exact model and size of your TCL Roku TV?

0 Kudos
pinchbrain
Binge Watcher

It's a 49" and the model number is 49S405.

0 Kudos