Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
thathaway3
Reel Rookie

Screen Brightness

I have a Roku Ultra, connected into the HDMI 2 input on a Sony 55" TV.  Everything was working fine and now suddenly when the TV input is changed to HDMI 2 for the Roku, the screen is dimmed considerably.

I have tried EVERYTHING including a factory reset of the Roku and I cannot figure out how to adjust the brightness up on the display.

Does anybody have any ideas how to fix this???

Tom

9 REPLIES 9
atripp
Reel Rookie

Re: Screen Brightness

Have you found a solution?  I just hooked up a roku ultra and it is so much dimmer than when I view my direct tv which I am replacing. Changing the brightness setting on the TV doesn't have any effect. 

0 Kudos
thathaway3
Reel Rookie

I finally solved the problem by completely resetting the TV to it's original factory settings, in effect a complete "re-boot" of the TV.  It was a bit of a pain, because I had to re-establish the connections between the TV and the cable system wi-fi, as well as reset the connections with Amazon Prime, Netflix etc, as well as the Roku.

But that fixed the problem and so far I haven't had a relapse.

atripp
Reel Rookie

Unfortunately, that did not work for me. If I turn it off and back on it is bright for a few minutes and by the time I pull up a show it is back dim. Very frustrating. At this point I may return it and try another streaming device.

0 Kudos
thathaway3
Reel Rookie

Did you do a full factory reset or initial settings restore on your TV?  That's what I had to do.  The command was somewhere in the settings menu on the TV I think.  If that's what you did and it didn't work, I'm out of suggestions.

Good luck!

0 Kudos
Ralph5

On my LG TV, the issue is that different picture settings can be set for each input source (e.g., Roku, DVD player, Xfinity receiver).  When I originally set up the TV (using optimized picture settings from Consumer Reports), I set it for all inputs to use the same settings.  However, I discovered that when I plugged in the new Roku, it used different picture settings that made the picture much brighter.  The other inputs retained the old settings.  Instead of having to reset the TV to its original settings, I was able to use an input other than the Roku input and then use the option to set all inputs to use the same settings (under Advanced Picture Settings).

Thank you Ralph5, I have an LG as well, and this worked perfectly. thank you again.

0 Kudos
lyrra

Re: Screen Brightness... my solution

I have an older LG Smart TV that did not have that option... however, I turned off energy saving option and voila! I can see!

AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@lyrra 

Good thinking.  Thanks for sharing what worked for you.  Always appreciated.

Wondering if maybe your bulb/lamp is going and energy saving feature is trying to save the bulb. (just a thought.)

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
lyrra

Could be... tv is quite old for a SmartTV... but when I saw that so many folks are having the same issue... even with brand new devices... I think perhaps it would still have been an issue.

0 Kudos