Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mannnnnnnnnnnny
Reel Rookie

Roku ultra keeps crashing and restarting

My Roku ultra keeps crashing and restarting after last Saturdays update. Anyone knows how to fix it?

I’ve tried:

- turn power on off

- factory reset

- turn off power saving

- reconnect to wifi

nothing fixes this. If it keeps happening, I might just return it and use something else. So frustrating. 

Labels (1)
9 REPLIES 9
Portalogem
Roku Guru

Re: Roku ultra keeps crashing and restarting

If you have an older Roku Ultra like me, it could be that you have a micro-SD card slot, which the newer models don't have for this reason. See if this is true by detaching the HDMI cord, and if it's there, remove the micro-SD card. Once you format the SD card in a computer (make sure not to format another drive by accident) then re-insert the card into the Roku after it's on the home screen. Hopefully, that fixes your issue.

I didn't have this issue with my Roku Ultra after the OS update, so this problem you're having isn't a general one for all Roku Ultra devices. 

0 Kudos
Mannnnnnnnnnnny
Reel Rookie

Thanks! I got mine just last month, and it doesn’t have a micro SD card slot:(

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@Mannnnnnnnnnnny, if it's new, you may just want to return it.  Ultras are usually more reliable than the other devices since they don't rely on a cheap USB power adapter.  It's still a cheap power adapter, but generally more reliable.  Either it or the Ultra may just be a dud.  If you're using any kind of surge protector, try taking it out of the equation.

By the way, what's the software version that's displayed under Settings->System->About?  I've seen some people report that they've been updated to v12.5.5, but my Ultra (4802) hasn't been offered that version yet.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
Portalogem
Roku Guru

Unfortunately, since I'm not experiencing this issue, there's little I can do to troubleshoot this to see what the problem is, so I'll just tell you what I would try to do if this happened to me. 

I thought of something after seeing @renojim's recent post and that's to try to connect the Roku to a different outlet to make sure your outlet isn't the culprit because if the Roku isn't getting enough power, it can cause crashes to occur, which is more usual for the Express model (with a faulty USB/Power supply) than an Ultra.

Try to keep manually updating your Roku because maybe an update will fix the issue. Are you using your Roku to watch one channel app? Because perhaps it's the channel that's crashing the Roku after the update. You would need to log out of the channel, uninstall the channel, restart the Roku, and re-install the channel. 

Another thing you can try is to go into Theme in settings and "Restore default theme" as perhaps that somehow became messed up and is causing the crash when the Roku attempts to go to the screensaver. Even after a Factory reset, if you're putting the Roku back on the same wallpaper and/or screensaver, this could cause the crash to reoccur, so try to use a different wallpaper and screensaver to see if that's the culprit. You can also turn off your screensaver for a while to see if your Roku still has this issue. If this is the culprit then a future update should fix that, but let Roku know by posting about it. 

Before doing a manual update, you can go into "Advanced system settings" and do a "Network connection reset" if there is something with your network connection that causes the Roku to crash. It shouldn't be your WiFi connection, but it wouldn't hurt to connect the Roku directly to the router if you can with an ethernet cord. Also, turn off your router and modem for a few minutes and then turn it on. Then try to manually update the Roku as perhaps doing this could help resolve the issue. 

You could then try to remove all your channels (write them down so you know which ones you had), restart the Roku, and then re-add them. First, only add the one channel you want to watch and see if your Roku crashes, and if it does then remove that channel and add a different one and try to watch that one. That way you can pinpoint if a channel app became problematic after a bad update as that may be the culprit instead of your Roku.

If none of this works, one thing you can try, which you would need to do before returning the Roku anyhow, which goes beyond a Factory reset, is to remove the Roku from your account from the Roku website, load the Roku, and then re-add it to your account (like when after you bought it).  

If nothing solves your issue and it's still under warranty, you can exchange it with another Roku Ultra, which might be the best thing to do since you can easily transfer your account to it. To learn more about how to do this just go to https://support.roku.com/category/4403790058903 and select "Warranty & returns." 

Anything can cause Roku issues from a bad channel update, to a router issue, to a power surge which is why I use my Roku on a battery backup. When I had a bad OS update with my Roku Express due to my router acting wonky, my Roku device just let me know it failed the update and allowed me to repeatedly try again until the issue was resolved, so Roku is usually good about Roku devices that don't update right. But sometimes the update itself can cause havoc with a Roku device, yet usually, this causes others to also have similar issues that can be specific to your Roku model. This doesn't seem to be what's happening here else others would have commented about having a similar issue, (update) but this update is new and it may take a while for others with your device model to receive it.

I'm surprised @renojim that your Roku hasn't yet been updated to v12.5.5, as I always assumed the newer models got the update first and then it would reach the older Roku's, but my Ultra got the update yesterday (1/16/24). All I can suggest is to keep trying to manually update your Roku Ultra. (Update) But perhaps the reason your Roku isn't updating is because there are issues with newer models with the OS update, which is what may have happened to @Mannnnnnnnnnnny, and Roku is trying to work out the kinks before sending this update to your model. If that's the case, then a newer update should fix this crashing issue when it rolls out.

Mannnnnnnnnnnny
Reel Rookie

Thanks @renojim ! I don’t have any surge protector in there, so not sure what exactly happened. 

my OS is on 12.5.5, it was updated on Tuesday I think. Thought it would fix the problem, but unfortunately it didn’t.

0 Kudos
Mannnnnnnnnnnny
Reel Rookie

Thanks @Portalogem  for the troubleshooting ideas!

I tried a few of them before (update, network connection reset). But haven’t tried changing it to a different power outlet, although I doubt it will be the issue since I have other devices using that outlet and none of those have issues. 

as for channels, I first thought it was a YouTube issue as I was watching some livestreams on YouTube, that’s when it first happened, but then it started to happen to all the apps, so that might not be it either. 

theme wise, I factory reset the device and it went back to original theme, still happens. Even back when I changed the theme before doing reset, there wasn’t any issues. 

at this point, I might just return it and get a new one. It is still within free return dates on Amazon (where I bought it from). 

0 Kudos
Portalogem
Roku Guru

If a recent manual update doesn't fix your issue, and since you're still in the return window, then you should return this Roku to Amazon and purchase a new one as it may be defective. 

0 Kudos

Same

0 Kudos
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @SKIBIDITOILET,

A warm welcome to the Roku Community!

We do not have enough details from your original message to make an effective suggestion. Could you tell us more about your concern? What troubleshooting steps have you already taken to try to resolve the issue? How are you powering the Roku device? In addition, have you tried using a different power cord and/or adapter to power your Roku device?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

All the best,
Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos