Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mrmustang
Channel Surfer

Roku streaming 4k stick disconnecting

I have a strange situation here that my ISP can't answer hoping somebody here can.

Every hour on the hour my Roku disconnects from the internet for exactly 20 seconds.

It happens 3 minutes after 1, 3 minutes after 2, 3 minutes after 3:00 and so on for 24 hours and I have nothing else in the house that could be generating some kind of interference and I have nowhere to turn to.

I've reset everything checked out settings on router I've gotten nowhere any help is appreciated.

This is happening with both of my Roku sticks on two separate TVs

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku streaming 4k stick disconnecting

@Mrmustang 

That sounds like something on your network.

Is it only Roku that is affected? Have you tried having your laptop running connected to wireless, and having a quick-loading Website up? That is, a Website that loads quickly, within a second, without a bunch of ads or scripts running.

When the disconnect happens, quickly do a CTRL+F5 (assuming Windows), which will not only do a refresh, but a clearing cache refresh, meaning it has to get the page in full from the Web server in order to display. A standard refresh (CTRL+R or F5) can use your cache for that page and display even if the page is offline (network interruption). So, be sure to do a CTRL+F5 refresh for the test.

If the browser won't load until the same time the Roku returns, then it's definitely your network.

Note this isn't foolproof, but this test is a good indicator. Two separate Roku devices suddenly disconnecting at the same time points to the network. When you go back to your ISP about it, the laptop exhibiting the same behavior may be needed to convince them.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Mrmustang
Channel Surfer

DB. 

I should have mentioned to you that this is not a computer that I'm working with it's my two Roku sticks on televisions so I can't do control F5 or anything like that.

It happens on every app that I might be using whether it be Hulu or peacock or any app that's on the Roku stick.

So what I'm experiencing is the TV goes off and it shows a line going across like it's trying to load a new program that last 20 seconds it just happened again at 4:01 p.m. Eastern standard Time and I'm at a total loss here

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@Mrmustang 

Apparently I wasn't clear in my suggestion. I fully get it's the Roku devices. What I'm suggesting is testing on a non-Roku device to confirm it's the network. If you don't have a laptop, or other wireless connected device, then you can't do that, of course. But confirming it happens on a laptop would perhaps convince your ISP that your network equipment or setup is the cause.

DBDukes

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Mrmustang
Channel Surfer

Okay then I didn't fully understand you I have several laptops I can check with and that's what I'm going to do and I'll let you know the results but according to them they say it's not on their end.

They have me convinced that something in my home or something in the neighborhood that's affecting the signal every hour on the hour but I respect your opinion and I think it's a good test

I'll be back in touch

Thank you very much

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@Mrmustang 

Be aware that they are correct that it could be something environmental that's impacting your network. While rare, that can certainly happen. Your test wouldn't actually answer that one way or the other.

An environmental issue -- some nearby device impacting your network -- would show up on the Roku and laptop.

The Streaming Stick 4K devices were not generally as susceptible to interference (an environmental issue) as, say, a Roku Express, but it could happen.

If it comes down to troubleshooting your network, that could be a long, difficult process, since it's an hour (or 59:40) between each occurrence. There are some very good network gurus here that will be able to offer a lot of help. Your testing results may help indicate how to proceed.

DBDukes

Mrmustang
Channel Surfer

I will test this on the laptop in time for 5:03 and I will let you know the results.

If nothing happens at all on the computer I will post that back and then we may need one of those gurus it may be a setting in the router I don't know but I will let you know what happens soon after 5:00 Eastern standard Time

0 Kudos
Mrmustang
Channel Surfer

Okay I did the test and I got the same results on the laptop so I called Firefly which is the ISP and it happened as I was on the phone with them so not only are the TVs going out but I got disconnected with my ISP at the same time the TV went out so she said it is a network issue it could be a router setting but she's not familiar on how to fix it or what to look for they may have to send a tech out.

That I don't understand because they could log into my router from there and see everything don't know why anybody has to be here they know where my house is and they said it can't be anything environmental you live alone in the woods

Well thank you for everything my friend and if someone on the Roku community has some idea on what could be wrong or wrong setting on the router maybe they'll see this in post back to me but thank you and have a good evening

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@Mrmustang 

Since it is affecting all connected devices at the same time, a couple of things to look at.  For settings, I would see what the "Lease Time/Client Lease Expiration" is set to under DHCP server/Network settings.  Normally, default is 1440 mins (24 hours).

I would also maybe try switching all devices to the alternate band.  If you are using the 5ghz band, try placing everything on the 2.4ghz band and see if you get different results. (vice-versa if you are currently 2.4 ghz band; place everything on the 5ghz band.)  With the short 20 sec disconnection/reconnection timeout, it sounds like this may be a router simply switching wireless channels.  Try manually assigning a channel number to both the 2.4ghz bands and 5ghz bands, rather than using "Auto" setting.  (2.4ghz band - ch. 1, 6, or 11 |  5ghz band - ch.36-48, or 149-161).

There is a possibility that the router is resetting itself (internal error/crashing), but 20 seconds is a pretty quick reboot time and reconnection ability, so would place that on low end of troubleshooting, but something to keep in mind.  However, if just a memory crash, then full reboot may not be occuring but a simple cache reset could be. (again, not my initial thought though).

Feel free to post router model number and any network settings (2.4 and 5ghz) and a description of setup if still having issues after checking and making the changes above.  Below are some recommended settings you can try in your router for the bands to see if condition improves/worsens.  Feel free to update.

----

2.4 GHZ BAND

1. Radio is On/Enabled
2. SSID (network name) is On/Broadcasting
3. Network Mode/Protocol is set to b/g/n (Mixed Mode)
4. Bandwidth/Channel Width is set to 20mhz
5. Wireless Channel is set between 1 and 11 (preferably 1, 6 , or 11). Try changing and using different channels. Roku cannot see or use 12,13,14.

5.0 GHZ BAND

1. Radio is On/Enabled
2. SSID (network name) is On/Broadcasting
3. Network Mode/Protocol is set to N/AC
4. Bandwidth/Channel Width is set to 20mhz or 20/40 mhz
5. Wireless Channel is set between 36-48 (low frequency band) or 149-161 (high frequency band). Roku cannot see or use channels 52-140 (DFS Channels) which an Auto Setting may be choosing. If your router allows you to Disable DFS Channels, then an Auto Setting may be used after successful troubleshooting.

Restart both your Router and Roku devices(s) after making the above changes.

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

Mrmustang
Channel Surfer

I posted a reply and I don't see it here so I'm redoing it the best I can.

The router is a calix gigaspire blast.

I can't find many of the things that you posted for me to look at but there is one setting that says 0 minutes 12 days 0 hours.

I believe it's on channel 44 and I cannot edit it can't figure it out but as I'm typing my phone just cut out a bit the TV cut out because it's 7:01 p.m.

Still happening every hour on the hour and I don't see why they can troubleshoot this

0 Kudos