Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ThomasH22
Reel Rookie

Roku smart tv going black screen with sound when using disneyplus

when im using disneyplus my tv will go to a blackscreen with sound i have to turn my tv off and back on to get picture back

0 Kudos
17 REPLIES 17
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku smart tv going black screen with sound when using disneyplus

Hi @ThomasH22,

Thanks for your first post in the Roku Community!

We can certainly understand your concern that you are having a playback issue with Disney plus. We will work with you to know what went wrong so we can assist you further and fix the issue

We recommend starting here to troubleshoot channel issues: Follow these steps in order:

1. Navigate to the channel tile on the Roku home screen, press the * key on your remote, and choose 'Remove channel'.
  2. Next, restart your device from Settings>System>Power>System restart (If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step).
  3. After your Roku device restarts, visit the Roku Channel Store and add the channel again.

If the issue persists, please refer to the support article here for additional troubleshooting steps: How to resolve a channel playback issue | Official Roku Support

Please try doing this and see if it helps with what you're experiencing.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Techandteacher
Reel Rookie

Ours does this too and it only seems to happen when my daughter is watching her shows and it progresses to a new episode. This also only seems to have started being a problem this year, we never noticed it before.

RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Techandteacher,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

We will be more than happy to assist you further with the issue that you're experiencing with the Disney+ channel. Please try the troubleshooting steps that @RokuMary-F provided above. If the problem still persists, try to update the channel by highlighting the channel tile, pressing the star button on your Roku remote, and selecting check for updates.

Let us know how it works.

All the best,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Techandteacher
Reel Rookie

Yep tried uninstalling, restarting the tv, reinstalling. Already fully updated.

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Techandteacher,

Thanks for keeping us posted!
Please be advised that after attempting the troubleshooting steps, videos from other channels play fine. In that case, we suggest contacting the channel provider's customer support team to report the issue and get help. The channel developers themselves maintain channels on Roku. In this case, an issue within that specific channel likely needs to be addressed with an update from them.

Please let us know if there is anything else we can do to help you.
Best regards,
John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
almeltwhite
Reel Rookie

Did you find a solution? Ours does the same thing when auto playing to the next episode. 

0 Kudos
Techandteacher
Reel Rookie

No solution yet, I think this might be something that the engineers of the app need to fix.

0 Kudos
almeltwhite
Reel Rookie

Ok well I'm contacting Disney support to tell them. It would be great if you did the same so we can let them know it's an issue that multiple people are experiencing. It's so frustrating, especially for kids. 

0 Kudos
almeltwhite
Reel Rookie

I talked to support and they had me clear the cache which fixed it.

We are gonna Clear Roku cache via hidden command, this will clear cache across all apps and there are the steps: in your remote control Press Home 5 times + Up 1 time + Rev Scan 2 times + Forward Scan 2 times. The screen will go black and then Roku will automatically restart.

Good luck!