Solving playback issues

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TobyNixon
Level 7

Re: Roku resets after streaming a few hours

Jump to solution

EXCELLENT. Thank you so much!

0 Kudos
crankypants
Level 7

Jump to solution

I changed the bandwidth settings as suggested but the unit still returns to the home screen after 4 hours. Anything further I can do to prevent this?

Thanks

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Not true. It is NOT the bandwidth saver.
I have the same problem and the bandwidth save is set to "off." It still does it. I also have the screen saver "off." No matter what I've checked out that might be causing it, I have eliminated all possible culprits and it still does it. This began happening at around September, 2021. Whatever the cause is, it is not limited to my RoKu, it appears to be widespread across all RoKu users. They must have changed something in their service to limit viewers from watching channels longer than 3 hours. I am not the only one having this problem, and it is a problem. If I am not near my TV to catch the "are you still watching?" notification, it will "time out" and send my RoKu back to the "Home" screen, which then my "Home" screen reverts to the "screen saver" even though I have the screen saver turned "off." This "update" (I assume it's an update) is frustrating and very inconvenient. It is a bad idea for consumers/customers. Hopefully enough people will complain about this problem and RoKu will revert back to eliminate the "timeout" change that they, whether you like it or not, gratuitously implemented.

0 Kudos
MSNAuburn
Level 7

Jump to solution

Very frustrating, but it’s not several hours for me. It’s only a few minutes on any channel I have before it goes back to the Home Screen. I’ve turned power saver off, reset the device, everything I know with no luck. Please, Roku, find and fix this bug. It started sometime in late October or early November 2021 for me. 

Peaches1984
Level 8

Jump to solution

I have a Roku Express and in the past month I have experienced the same thing. It doesn’t matter which app I am watching. After about half an hour, the video slows down freezes and eventually returns to the home page. I have reliable internet, so as far as I can tell it’s not that. When I tried to contact Roku directly on the support page of the website, it said they no longer offer direct support for this product!!

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@IIISTARGATEIII @MSNAuburn @Peaches1984

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

For us to isolate the cause of the problem, please provide us with the following information:

-Roku device model
-Serial number
-Device ID
-Software OS/version
(these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-Does this issue occur on a specific channel? If so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found by selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-Tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-Steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

With more information, we will be able to assist you further.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
Peaches1984
Level 8

Jump to solution

-Roku device model: 3930X
-Serial number:X00400AUKDLG
-Device ID: S008301UKDLG
-Software OS/version: 10.0.0 build 4209-AE

0 Kudos
Peaches1984
Level 8

Jump to solution

It happens when using several different channels. 

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply, @Peaches1984

Could you tell us how you are powering your Roku device? Is it connected to the USB port of the TV or to a wall outlet? In some cases, the USB power provided by the TV is not sufficient to power the device. Even though your Roku device may appear to be working, running with insufficient power can lead to instability, crashing, and other unpredictable behavior.

Using the included power cord and power adapter, we suggest plugging your Roku into a working power outlet in the wall. Powering it through a power outlet in the wall has the additional advantage that your Roku player will not need to power up every time you turn on your TV. This means your Roku player will be up and running faster than it would be connected to a TV.

Let us know how it goes!

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Peaches1984
Level 8

Jump to solution

I used the power chord that came with the Roku Express. It is plugged directly into the wall outlet. 

0 Kudos