Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Chris_
Binge Watcher

Roku "Overscan" HDMI/Color Format signal default is the likely problem regardless of TV setting.

CC:

@RokuDanny-R 

This is a lead I discovered on what's causing the persistent "Overscan" problem many have been frustrated with regardless of the settings on their varying TVs for the last few years.  It appears to me to be an automatic/inflexible/static/hardcoded signal coming FROM the Roku itself that overrides the TV's over-scan setting that keeps forcing the problem on some LCD TVs.

I can recreate and solve the problem on a Best Buy branded INSIGNIA television using two other competing streaming devices by changing ONE setting that is NOT available on either my updated Roku StreamingStick 4k OR Streambar Pro.

Example 1:  On a "Chromecast with Google TV" there is a "Color Format" setting under "Dynamic range & Color format" that also causes the overscan when using YCbCr 12-bit or 8-bit.  SETTING COLOR FORMAT TO RGB 8-BIT SENDS A SIGNAL THAT DOES NOT FORCE OVERSCAN.  Roku devices don't have a setting to change "color format" so the problem continues.

Example 2: On an "Apple TV 4K" there is an "HDMI Output" setting that again causes the overscan problem when using YCbCr.  SETTING HDMI OUTPUT TO EITHER RGB HIGH OR LOW SENDS A TV SIGNAL THAT DOES NOT FORCE OVERSCAN.  Roku devices don't have a setting to change "hdmi output" so the problem continues.

In other words, Roku streamers do NOT have an equivalent USER setting to be able to SEND a RGB signal to any TV to solve the problem. Even if the TV has its own "overscan off" setting, it is still overridden by the hdmi signal coming FROM the Roku. So after all this troubleshooting the user question remains, why do the other two primary competing streaming devices have this convenient user setting that solves this problem but the Roku does not?

Thanks for the follow up and review.

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Chris_
Binge Watcher

Re: Roku "Overscan" HDMI/Color Format signal default is the likely problem regardless of T

Of course, forcing a Roku device resolution to send a 720p signal on a 1080p TV helps with slightly less overscan but it's too minimal to make a difference.  Have generated a tracking ID here that I've seen requested for other troubleshooting topics in the past.

"Please use issue ID 42-214-181 to report the current issue."

0 Kudos
Chris_
Binge Watcher

Re: Roku "Overscan" HDMI/Color Format signal default is the likely problem regardless of T

May I please receive just one acknowledgment from any Roku moderator on this forum regarding my findings on why roku devices have a verified baked in overscan problem on some TVs because of the lack of a single RGB setting that TWO other popular streaming devices do have to solve the issue?  Thank you.

0 Kudos
Chris_
Binge Watcher

@CarlWilliams

Thought you might interested in seeing that this new post clearly explaining the issue that you also have mentioned has had plenty of "reads" by the community but has oddly been quiet without any moderator acknowledgement whatsoever.

Chris_
Binge Watcher

Roku moderators. "They're unable to respond. They're unwilling to respond."

0 Kudos
CarlWilliams
Binge Watcher

Shhhhhh. You might wake the up.

0 Kudos