Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
marcosum
Reel Rookie

Roku loses connection. Remote stops working

New Streaming stick 4K. I have had it about a week. Seems to work ok with Youtube tv, but when watching Appletv or HBO max it plays for about half an hour, then stops with message: Video Not Available. Check internet connection. The remote stops working. The internet connection is fine. After a reboot, it plays for about 5 minutes, then stops again.

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku loses connection. Remote stops working

It sounds like it may be overheating.  Does it feel hot?  Make sure you're using the supplied power adapter and not the TV's USB port.  You might want to try the free HDMI extender cable or order one online for a few bucks if you want to get it quickly.

https://my.roku.com/hdmi

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Ello2022
Roku Guru

@marcosum  You say your internet connection is fine but that doesn’t mean anything. Go to settings/network and run a check connection test. What does it say for internet speed. How far is your Roku Stick from your router or modem? How fast is your internet?

@renojim  I highly doubt it’s overheating. Even under normal conditions it can get hot. If it was overheating a message would pop up. I own 4 Sticks and they all get warm to the touch. But never so hot you can’t touch them 

0 Kudos
marcosum
Reel Rookie

Thanks for responding to my question. I ran the test twice. Both said connected with good signal strength. 1st test said poor internet download speed (<1Mbps). Gave site address of go.roku.com/internetspeed. When I tried to go there it kept directing me to https://www.roku.com/how-it-works. I have a high-speed SpectrumSetupD3 router with capability up to 200 Mbps. Second test came back with a good download internet speed (136Mbps). I am in close proximity to the router. I get a strong signal anywhere in the house and it works outside.  The Roku stick is in a room adjacent to the router. While typing this the speed went up to 147Mbps. I do not know what to make of this, but a sometimes slow download speed seems to be the problem.

0 Kudos
Ello2022
Roku Guru

Your WiFi is dropping in and out. The fact that your Roku can get 147 Mbps then drop to 1-2 Mbps tells me your WiFi is dropping out. WiFi drop outs are hard to pin point. You may need to run several speed tests on your computer to figure out what’s going on. Many years ago my Cox internet would drop to 5-10 Mbps back to 150 Mbps. I had speed tests recorded on my phone app to show Cox. Ended up being a problem out on the street. When you the Roku speed drops you need to immediately run a speed test on your phone. Also is the stick on the 2.4 GHz or 5.0 GHz? Have you tried both?

0 Kudos