Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lilybet

Roku keeps going to home screen while watching

I’m having an issue. No matter what app I use, it plays for a few minutes and then goes back to the home screen. If I reset the Roku it works fine. But I was sick and tired of resetting it every time I turn the tv on, so I bought a new Roku. BUT IT DOES THE EXACT SAME THING. I thought at first it was my connection, but that doesn’t explain why it suddenly works when I reset it. Does anyone have any idea as to why it’s doing this? 

7 REPLIES 7
JanC73

Re: Roku keeps going to home screen while watching

Is there a way to fix this I thought it was a bad piece so this is the 3rd one and its still doing it  Did you find a  way to fix it ???  thanks

RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @JanC73,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

I'm sorry to hear about the issue you're running into. I'd be happy to help take a closer look to see how we can help get you up and running. A few questions here to better understand what you're experiencing:

1. Are you using a Roku TV or a Roku device?
  2. Does the issue only occur on a specific channel or all channels on your Roku device?
  3. How are you powering the device? Is it plugged into the TV USB port, or is it plugged into the wall outlet with the provided cables?
  4. What troubleshooting steps have you taken so far to try to resolve the issue?

With more information, we will be able to assist you further.

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
Clauer

I am having the exact same problem. A program will play for a couple of minutes then it flips to the home screen. I am using a roku device that is plugged into my tv. None of my channels work - they all go to the home screen (ie Disney+, paramount, etc). Everything worked just fine last week 

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Clauer

Thanks for the post.

We would recommend powering the Roku device to an outlet as sometimes the TV USB port may not provide adequate power to the device.

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Snow-10TY

We are having the same problem. Our Roku system is powered to an outlet.

It seems to happen on several different channels. It will play the channel for a while

then slow down to a stop then flip back to the home page.

Chambers12

We are having the same problem. Unplugged the Roku. Unplugged router. Restarted everything and couldn't get through more than a couple of minutes of a movie we rented without it going back to the home screen.

RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

@Snow-10TY @Chambers12

Thanks for following up! 

Once the device is plugged into a wall outlet, we suggest you run a quick update on your Roku by going to Settings > System > System update > Check now. Restart your Roku (Settings > System > System restart) and try again to see if the issue still occurs.

You can see more here: How to update the software on your Roku TV or Roku streaming player

Keep us posted on how it goes. 

Regards,
Nimfa