Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roku freezes at startup

I have used my Roku LT for a number of years and it has worked well.  I tried to power it on today and it now freezes at the screen with the word ROKU and it's reflection.  All the suggestions I have found say to unplug the power, unplug the HDMI cable, hit the reset button or enter a combination of keys on the remote to reset it.  The LT I have does not have a reset button (not even the little pinhole).  I have tried the other choices without success.  One suggestion was to get rid of the screensaver screen but I can't get far enough in the boot up process to do this.  Any other ideas?  Thanks,

0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku freezes at startup

The Roku LT is a second generation player, and is no longer supported by Roku. Sadly, it has probably finally failed and you'll have to replace it. 

There's actually three different versions of the LT, the 2400 (released in Nov 2011), the 2450 (April 2012) and the 2700 (Sept 2013). The 2700 is actually a third generation device that is still considered as a supported platform. However, even that model is quite old compared to the current (8th) generation. I would be surprised if it doesn't have a reset button hidden somewhere, but I've never seen one of those players myself, so I won't say never. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos

happened to me....then i changed the batteries in remote and all is well again...

0 Kudos
ronpar65
Binge Watcher

All Roku 1's 2's are now worthless! thanks to the greed of Roku! Even The Roku 3's are starting to slow down. They filled the memory with so much junkware, they will not, can not, load apps! They did this so people would have to buy new Roku's! Shame on You Roku! We paid good money, made You rich, and this is the thanks we get in return! I will never buy another new Roku again! Oh What a tangled web "you" weaved, when at first You practiced to deceive! 

0 Kudos
atc98092

@ronpar65 wrote:

All Roku 1's 2's are now worthless! thanks to the greed of Roku! Even The Roku 3's are starting to slow down. They filled the memory with so much junkware, they will not, can not, load apps! They did this so people would have to buy new Roku's! Shame on You Roku! We paid good money, made You rich, and this is the thanks we get in return! I will never buy another new Roku again! Oh What a tangled web "you" weaved, when at first You practiced to deceive! 

While some users are content with a device that does what they want without any updates, many others want new features. And those new features require changes in hardware and software. new channels are developed for the latest hardware, and won't work on older devices. It's no different with computer operating systems. People still use Windows XP, but it's no longer supported, won't run newer applications, had has limited resources. 

In the electronics world, devices must be continually improved and updated. That means the eventually older devices simply won't work any more. Don't think a Fire TV device will still be working as well as new devices in 7-8 years, because it too will not be able to keep up. 

You mention Roku 1, 2 and 3. Because Roku reused those names on numerous devices with different hardware, you could be referring to a device that's 5 years old, 7 years old, or even 10 years old. If those old boxes were still using the apps that were available when they were released, they'd still be working fine. But companies create new apps that simply won't work on older devices. You blame Roku, but it's the app developers that continue to change the apps with new features that require more powerful boxes and more memory. If Roku  didn't build the new boxes, then you wouldn't get the apps you want, and you'd be mad at Roku for that. 

That's simply the way consumer electronic devices progress over time. Companies must keep up or they lose. As consumers, if we want the latest and greatest content, we need to upgrade our devices. 

Dan

0 Kudos
ronpar65
Binge Watcher

I have tried twice to comment on your post, but Roku doesn't want people to know the truth, and what your post said, held no truth! So why bother wasting my time! Like I said, I will never buy another new Roku! and if people was smart, neither would they, because within a few years, the only thing they will be good for, is paper weight! Enough Said!

0 Kudos
atc98092

@ronpar65 wrote:

I have tried twice to comment on your post, but Roku doesn't want people to know the truth, and what your post said, held no truth! So why bother wasting my time! Like I said, I will never buy another new Roku! and if people was smart, neither would they, because within a few years, the only thing they will be good for, is paper weight! Enough Said!

Go in peace, my friend. What I wrote was truth, but I won't argue the point any longer. 

Dan

0 Kudos
bcm00re
Roku Guru

Instead of arguing with the guy you'd think the Roku rep would have tried to help the person who originally started this thread!?!  My Roku LT 2700 model is starting to do the same thing.  It has been a year or so since I've used it, and now I find it just constantly reboots stuck on the Roku start-up screen.  I thought Roku still claims to support this model -- but it seems like they may have bricked it.  Or maybe it has to do with the fact I used to be a beta tester for Roku and (at least at one time) had some beta code installed on it.

0 Kudos
renojim

@bcm00re, no Roku representatives (including me) have commented in this thread.  If you're having a problem you'd like help with start a thread and explain your problem and what you've tried to do to solve it.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
atc98092

@bcm00re Roku hasn't bricked it, and yes that model is still supported. But by supported they mean it still receives OS updates. You'll find that many channel providers don't support a player that old (released Sept 2013, so approaching 9 years old). Looking at the hardware specs for the 2700, I'm honestly surprised it would still work with most any channel. 

I realize that some people are satisfied continuing to use older analog TVs, and I say good for them. But unfortunately, the streaming device market has discontinued support for analog connections. Not only Roku, but Apple TV, Fire TV, and most all Android based players, all no longer offer such connections. Some users have had success using an HDMI to Analog converter with newer Roku devices, so there are still ways to continue using an analog TV with a modern streaming device. 

Dan

0 Kudos