Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Squidbilly
Reel Rookie

Roku express 4K+ device is not turning on with the TV.

My Roku device doesn't turn on with the TV unless I go and unplug the device from the wall wait 10 seconds and plug it back in, then the device and TV will turn on properly. I have already done a reset from the settings guide and inputted everything all over again, getting ready to take back all 3 boxes if the problem cannot be fixed soon.

27 REPLIES 27
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku express 4K+ device is not turning on with the TV.

If you are powering your Rokus by plugging them into the USB ports on your tvs, plug them directly into house power using the USB adapter that came with it.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
Squidbilly
Reel Rookie

Just took the ROKU boxes back and got the firestick, they work great with no problems.

0 Kudos
Sallyz371
Reel Rookie

I am having the same issue and it is plugged in directly to the power with what was supplied.  Roku will not power on with TV/remote.  Only if I unplug power and plug back in.  All updates are current.  I have only had the device since July.  Is this item still under warranty for a refund if this cannot be fixed?

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Sallyz371

Thanks for the post.

Can you please clarify the issue you are experiencing? Have you tried pressing the Roku remote once your TV is turned on? Please be aware that the Roku device does not power off, but rather is put into standby mode when not in use.

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
nw31

I am experiencing the exact same behavior as the others in this thread: where the Roku Express 4K+ will go into a deep sleep (with no status light showing) that the Roku remote will not wake it from.  I have swapped the entire unit, the power adapter, remotes, cables with Roku provided components (I have two of these) and both RE 4k+ units have the same power-down issue.  These units are not going to standby, they appear to be shutting completely down.

The only way I've found to wake the device is to unplug it from the supplied power brick and plug it back in.  Interestingly, I feel like this problem is more prevalent on my new LG 4k TV (model: 55UP7000PUA).  I have not yet run into this issue when the RE-4k+ is connected to an older 720p TV.

0 Kudos
renojim

@nw31, what's the software version displayed under Settings->System->About?  Do you have a "Power" category under Settings->System?

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
trekker1949
Reel Rookie

I am having the same problem as the others, I have to unplug the usb connector from the charging plug and reinsert it for the device to power on. Once on, the device works correctly. If I power off the tv, the device also goes into sleep mode. If I wait a minute or two and then power on the tv, the device will usually work as well. If I wait for a period of time or over night, the device will not come up when I start the tv. I have to unplug  the usb connector and reinsert it for the device to work,.

I have two other express 4k+, and they are working correctly. It is only this one that is giving me a problem. If I have to hazard a guess, this device is faulty. I even went so far as to unlink it and reinstall it, but this did not help.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
renojim

@trekker1949, see if you have "Auto power savings" under Settings->System->Power.  If so, disable "After 20 minutes of no interaction" and see if it helps.

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
seckert92
Channel Surfer

Mine is having the same problem. Has anybody found a fix? Anything over 20 minutes of no use, and the Roku will not turn on. Even with the remote. Yes, it is plugged into the outlet. The only way to get it to turn on again is to unplug it and replug it. Then I get only about 20 minutes of use again. Can somebody please help me?

0 Kudos