Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TheMonks
Reel Rookie

Roku Ultra won't play certain shows

Similar to some other topics, but trying to play anything on Noggin (thru the Roku Channel) I can navigate to the series and episode, but hitting play just goes black for a second and then brings me back to the same screen I was on.  I tried randomly starting other shows on the Roku channel, some would play, some would not.  Since it's the Roku channel, I cannot remove the app and reinstall (that I can tell) but I did try a factory reset as well as looked for any available updates.

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Ultra won't play certain shows

You should be able to remove it by highlighting it on the Home Screen and pressing * on your remote like any other channel, but I have to admit I haven't tried it.

Where are you located?  I've seen plenty of reports of trouble with The Roku Channel from people in Canada.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
TheMonks
Reel Rookie

Minneapolis, MN.

When I highlight the Roku channel and hit * I get the following options:

* My Rating

* Move channel

* Manage Subscription

* Check for Updates

* Give us feedback

* Close

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

It looks like you have a subscription to something you watch through The Roku Channel, so that's why you don't get the option to remove the channel.  I assume the subscription is to Noggin?

I don't know if this qualifies as a billing problem since it appears you don't have access to your subscription.  Perhaps @RokuKariza-D can help.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
TheMonks
Reel Rookie

Yes, the subscription is specifically for Noggin, but the issue is not limited to it.  I can choose other shows from the Roku channel app that have the same issue, yet not all as I've come across some that do play.  

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@TheMonks

Thanks for the posts.

If you are unable to resolve the issue, can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

Once we have this information, we will be able to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos

I am having the same problem (sort of) on my Ultra on the Acorn channel.  Some episodes will play, but others won’t get past the opening credits and it throws me back to Roku home.  Specifically, Doc Martin Series 10 episode 1 (episode 2 plays fine), and Wire in the Blood, Series 2, episode 2.  

I also have a TCL Roku TV and these episodes play just fine so I know it has to do with the Ultra.

I’ve tried uninstalling the Acorn app (and had to cancel my subscription to do so; found out it will cost me more per month to reinstate since the price had gone up.  I’ve also restarted the Roku, unplugged all cords and reconnected and even reset the internet connection, all to no avail.  The only thing I haven’t done is reset the Roku because I have lots of apps with complicated passwords that I don’t want to have to reenter.

Please look into this.  Thank you.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@mysqueakycat

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times and provide us with this ID)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing 
Once we have more detailed information, we will be able to investigate the issue further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos