Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rrwinn12
Reel Rookie

Roku Ultra has intermittent green/purple flashes during Dolby Vision playback

Playing anything in Dolby Vision with my Roku Ultra onto a Sony Bravia 900H has been a trying experience.

I'm on my third certified ultra speed HDMI cable, and still during Dolby Vision video (mostly on the Netflix app) there are random flashes of green and purple lines, as if there's a handshake issue between the Roku and television.

I know it's not the TV itself, because this issue does not occur with the Netflix app on the Android TV platform within the set. 

I have tried changing the display setting from "Auto" to "Dolby Vision" manually. The TV setting has "Enhanced Format (Dolby Vision)" and it is already in HDMI port 3. The Roku, TV and all accompanying apps have been fully updated.

0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku Ultra has intermittent green/purple flashes during Dolby Vision playback

@rrwinn12

Thanks for the post.

If you are unable to resolve the issue, can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing
-screenshot of the issue happening

Once we have more information, we will be able to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
rrwinn12
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku Ultra has intermittent green/purple flashes during Dolby Vision playback

-4800X, X01000SGCH99, S02A209GCH99, 10.5.0, build 4208-C2

-Issue occurs on any channel that plays Dolby Vision content. Netflix, HBO Max, etc.

-Attempted to submit tracker ID

-HDMI setting in TV set to "Enhanced: Dolby Vision" ... Roku display type set to Automatic (detected: 4K Dolby Vision, HDCP 2.2) ... Open app (Netflix, for example) and play any Dolby Vision-supported content (Midnight Mass, for example). Issue occurs randomly and not in any particular scenes or amount of time. Ranges from 1-5 flashes per viewing.

-Since the flashes occur randomly and with less than a second, it's virtually impossible to get a screenshot

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@rrwinn12

Thanks for the follow up and providing us with your information.

I have passed it along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos

I get the same issues on apps played through roku ultra on my sony. TV is brand new 4k with dolby vision.  I can watch movies very clearly but with intermittent flashes.  Its very frustrating. 

0 Kudos

I have the exact same issues on my Sony Bravia x85j.  This is happening on Dolby Vision content.  The Android app versions built into the TV do not cause the flashing. 

The flashing occurs on my Roku stick and Roku ultra.  The fact it happens on my stick (2021 model) negates a cable issue

This is very frustrating and I am a loyal Roku customer at this point

It happens on all apps, HBO Max, HULU, Netflix, Showtime App, VUDU

0 Kudos
Deadtrick
Reel Rookie

Same issue here on a 2018 Vizio TV E-50.

New Roku Ultra model 4800X

Software Version: 10.5.0 build 4208-C2

Using supplied HDMI cable from Roku box.

The only way to “fix” the issue temporarily is to switch HDMI inputs on the TV and then back again to the Roku input.

I’ve also tried forcing the Roku to 4K Dolby Vision output instead of Auto, and setting the TV out of “Eco Mode” (TV stays on a sleep mode for fast start).

Please look into this.

0 Kudos

I have the same Sony x85J tv with identical issues. Bought two Roku ultra boxes wjich included two 4k sticks at Costco.

I swapped boxes and 4k cables. Turning off the Roku Dolby vision stopped the problem by lower to to 4K HDR. 

I bought 2.1 HDMI cables trying to fix this problem. 

Still have intermittent flashes.

BTW if I watch Dobly Vision through the TV Apps no problem.

I have 7 Roku device and I am asking to please fix this.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Deadtrick

Thanks for the post and providing us with your information.

I have passed the information along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further. Once more information is available, I'll be sure to update this thread.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@RobRussell4

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

Once we have this information we will be able to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos