Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Falmer5
Reel Rookie

Roku Ultra goes to black screen for 5s when switching from menus to videos

Jump to solution

Greetings from Taipei
My Roku Ultra (connected to a BenQ W1090) takes a pause of 4-5 seconds whenever I go from a menu to a video. For example, when I look into the Youtube menu for what is available, it will display the image continuously until I click on a video or until a live preview of the video starts playing. At this point, it will show a dark screen for the next 5 seconds, while the video starts in the background and the sound plays normally. I have tried different HDMI cables and the issue is the same. It has been so since the very first day. 
Any idea what could be causing the issue? 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Ultra goes to black screen for 5s when switching from menus to videos

Jump to solution

You probably have Frame rate matching enabled. When the refresh rate changes, the screen will go blank for several seconds. Normal operation for that mode. My Shield players do it as well when matching frame rate and/or resolution. Roku players don't do resolution matching, so frame rate is the likely explanation. 

You'll find the setting under Settings/System/Advanced display settings/auto-adjust display refresh rate.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

You probably have Frame rate matching enabled. When the refresh rate changes, the screen will go blank for several seconds. Normal operation for that mode. My Shield players do it as well when matching frame rate and/or resolution. Roku players don't do resolution matching, so frame rate is the likely explanation. 

You'll find the setting under Settings/System/Advanced display settings/auto-adjust display refresh rate.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
Falmer5
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thank you Dan! Finally something that worked!! I had looked hard in the menu but not within these advanced settings I guess. 

0 Kudos
Gregory44

Jump to solution

Finally!!!! I've been going insane thinking my brand new Roku Ultra was defective. Upgraded from the original Ultra for Atmos and could not figure out why the screen was going black for a couple seconds  every time a app preview started playing. It's been a few months of looking through message board's. My old Ultra never had a refresh rate setting. Turned it off and fixed.

0 Kudos