Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nick10
Reel Rookie

Roku Ultra freezes or buffers requiring power reset

Every since the end of October my Ultra will freeze during playback and act like its buffering. Sometimes it will resume, most of the time it sits doing nothing. Watching Philo it will return an error code saying it is having trouble playing back this programming. It will display and error code such as [pf-4.5-le95c] or [pf-1.1-f7b5f]. I've tried to research these codes and gotten nowhere. If you go back to the main menu and try to select another channel such as Paramount+, Disney+, Peacock it will not connect. The only way it is resolved is by doing a power reset. Then its good to go for maybe a minute or thirty minutes. Seems random. This all started after the software update at the end of October. Does Roku ever actually fix anything or are you out of luck. I bought this unit in May of 2022.

8 REPLIES 8
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku Ultra freezes or buffers requiring power reset

@Nick10

Thanks for the post.

What troubleshooting steps have you already taken to try to resolve the issue? Have you tried rebooting your wireless network as well as changing the wireless channel on you router to see if that helps? Does this issue happen on a specific channel or does it happen across all channels?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
wyldchyld
Reel Rookie

I am having the same issue with 2 expresses and 1 ultra. 

After the latest software update, the devices freeze and need to be restarted while streaming or using the roku media player. 

I am hoping this next software update comes soon and fixes this issue or its time to find something else other than Roku.

0 Kudos
Ganendal

Thanks Danny. We've been having the same problem with our Roku model 4802x

Serial number x01000d76nyt

I have gotten a new HDMI cord and numerous power rebooting.

0 Kudos
fnlvnchk12
Channel Surfer

This is a known problem. As far as I know it has not been addressed in any meaningful way. Hulu seems to be one of the problem apps. Factory reset does not solve it nor does restarting the network gateway. Removing the app, rebooting, and reinstalling does not work. I’ve heard that the problem was made worse after the last software update although I can’t verify this. It does not appear to be related to overheating. I’ve seen no other information online or from Roku addressing the issue.

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Hi Community users,

Thanks for the posts.

If you are still unable to resolve the issue, can you please provide us the following information:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
  • tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times and provide us with this ID)
  • steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

Once we have this information, we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
CyndiK

The only way I have found to correct the problem is to recheck the network connection on ROKU.  Mine is wireless.  It will still periodically happen but much less than before I discovered this work around.

0 Kudos
John62

I solved my problem by switching to Amazon Fire Stick 4K.

0 Kudos
dropdx
Channel Surfer

I think I might try this trick because obviously Roku doesn't give a **bleep**, they won't even acknowledge the issue... Pathetic.