Solving playback issues

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BillZinAZ
Level 8

Roku Ultra Powers Off After a While

I have an Ultra HD/4K/HDR from 2019 with a micro-SD card; the unit's power is connected to a surge suppressor.  Also, I control the device using a Logitech universal remote. Two days ago while trying to reset the correct circuit breaker outside due to a kitchen appliance issue, I must have accidentally reset the breaker going to the power strip and now my Roku unit shuts off; the result is when I want to watch TV (which normally takes me to the main screen showing apps), I see my default background screen with no apps or selections on the left.

When I pull the power jack on the device, then plug it back in after about 30 seconds, I get the normal screen showing the apps but the directional keys on the remote don't work; the others on that remote don't either.  They don't work on the Roku remote as well which leads me to believe it's not a remote problem.  When I use my universal remote to power down the receiver and TV, the Roku stays on for a while (probably at least 20 min but I haven't paid close attention to this), then shuts off. 

After watching some YouTube videos, I've pulled the batteries on the Roku remote, then reinstalled while trying to pair again but it doesn't work.  I also tried pushing and holding buttons like Home, Rewind and Fast Forward (I'm missing one button here), but that doesn't work either. Finally, I've pushed the button on the top of the device (when the unit is on); that starts a countdown but does nothing to fix the problem.  I'd appreciate your advice on how to fix.  Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
andyross
Level 16

Re: Roku Ultra Powers Off After a While

There was a recent firmware update that added a Power save option. You can try disabling that. It is in Settings/System/Power.

0 Kudos
BillZinAZ
Level 8

Thanks Andy.  Unfortunately, there is no Power option under Settings->System, and I've checked every option under System but see nothing about Power. The only way I can get the device to power on is to unplug the power connection at the device, then re-connect it. Do you have any other ideas?  Thanks-Bill

0 Kudos
BillZinAZ
Level 8

Looks like things are back to normal. Here's how it came together. I didn't think it was a remote issue since both the Roku and Logitech Harmony remotes didn't work but when I replaced the batteries on the Roku remote, I could now press Home and see the apps, plus I could move the cursor.

But the power would still shut off over time of not using it so I'd have to re-boot it.  I ended up resetting the Roku device which meant I had to re-enter the passwords for the apps I use but that seemed to fix the power situation.

The Logitech Harmony remote still wouldn't move the Roku screen's cursor so after some trial and error, I removed the Roku device from the Harmony setup (the device tied to the activity "Watch Roku"), then re-added it and that seemed to fix the last problem; the Harmony remote now moves the cursor.

Andy--thanks for your help in getting me in the right direction.

0 Kudos