Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Poe3681
Binge Watcher

Re: Roku Ultra HDCP Errors and Resolution Problems (4802 vs. 4670)

You just don't bother to read. Same canned response.

I am not taking my whole setup apart again just to put your POS unit back in so I can gather information ALREADY PROVIDED TO YOU BY OTHERS MULTIPLE TIMES.

What has been discovered from the multiple provided tracebacks in this thread already ? 

mikew_nt
Binge Watcher

Roku,

I provided all the requested info, a detailed explanation of the scenario to reproduce the problem, and a tracking ID FIVE weeks ago.  I followed up a week later with a second tracking ID (that was a MONTH ago).

Several other people are reporting the exact same scenario.

You've had these tracking IDs now for over a MONTH.

Please provide an update on your investigation into those two tracking IDs, and a projected fix date. 

I really do not understand why Roku is asking for yet more information when I have provided the requested information twice and have had no response over this past month.

warthog
Reel Rookie

Here's another tracker - my 4802 works very intermittently. More often than not I have issues. 

Model: 4802X - Roku Ultra

Serial number: X0100EUPSG2 (S0DA225UPSG2)

Software version: 12.5.5 build 4174-C2

GC version: 11.1.24

Timestamp: 2024-03-21T12:00:11Z

ID G2-115-920

RokuJanadeeK
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

We appreciate the follow-up, @warthog.

We understand that you're having issues with your Roku Ultra.

Rest assured, we have collected and forwarded the following details to the appropriate Roku team for review and further investigation. We appreciate your patience and understanding in the meantime. Should an update be available for this concern, we'll promptly let this thread know.

Let us know if you have further inquiries regarding this.

All the best,
Janadee

Nadee K.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
mikew_nt
Binge Watcher

Roku,

I'll give it another week or two, but 6 weeks is more than enough time for you guys to investigate.  The S90C is the #1 rtings rated 65" OLED - shoot, just go buy one and you'll be able to reproduce this quickly.

People deserve to know about this issue, and they should not have to go through the frustration all of us have.  Some of us were even in the process of boxing up our new S90C's.

If this is still not fixed in a week or two, as I'm on the vendor sites (Amazon, Best Buy, etc) I'll post up reviews on both the S90C and the Roku 4802 warning people about these issues and to recommend against buying the 4802 until they have confirmed that Roku has fixed the issue.

Again, people deserve Roku to fix this in a timely manner, and both the captures and the workaround details provided in this thread should provide Roku more than sufficient information to investigate and fix this issue.

Please respond with confirmation of a fix in the next week or two.

beezleb
Channel Surfer

Edit: disregard the below. Just had the hdcp error even with disabling auto detect of display type

Have others with this issue tried disabling the display auto detection in the Roku and setting it to 4K HDR TV?  I did this a few days ago and haven't had the HDCP error yet on my Samsung TV, but it's too early to say for sure if this fixed it.  I'm also still getting HDR10+ on supported content this way.

I did see a reference to someone that had tried setting the "Dolby 4K HDR", but wasn't able to see if anyone tried just 4K HDR TV.  

I should also mention I have the 4800X according to the device info and I'm not sure if that is different than the 4802. 

0 Kudos
mikew_nt
Binge Watcher

Yep, a bunch of us had tried that too.

I was up on Amazon the other day, and just searching on "HDCP" in the 4802 reviews brought up 20 complaints, usually "resolved" by buying a different brand like a Firestick.  These reviews go back to 2022, so this problem has been known since at least then without any fix......

0 Kudos
Hambone49
Reel Rookie

I have the QN90c (purchased two weeks ago) that replaced a KS8000 . The 4802 was purchased a few months ago and worked perfectly on the KS. Also  have a 4670 that was on the KS for a few years and no issues. Move the KS upstairs along with the 4670. Put the 4802 on the QN90C and the error stated a week later. Have to restart Roku every time. Tried new ultra HDMI cable and all settings, no go. The Rokus connect directly to the TV and a Denon S650H is being used with e-arc via an ultra premium HDMI cable. I think the 4802 is defective and Roku should replace it. Firmware 12.5.5

Poe3681
Binge Watcher

The issue is well documented. Multiple traces, been going on for months. I switched back to my 4670 and haven't had a single issue since. Same cables, same soundbar, same everything - the only thing different is the Roku unit itself. Multiple forums have multiple posts over multiple months with the exact same issue on many different TVs, Soundbars and so on, so it's not just a specific TV vendor, or type of cable. Of course I miss out on the performance improvement of the 4802, but I don't have to keep getting behind the TV to power-off the Roku and power it back on again to reset the problem - almost always just when we're sitting down to dinner and suddenly everything stops working.  

So, given the ongoing lack of information from Roku themselves, we can essentially come to the following possible conclusions :

a) Roku don't know why it's happening.
b) Roku know why, and it's a hardware issue inherent in the 480x devices.
c) Roku know why, and its a software issue inherent in the 480x devices.
d) Roku believe the problem is external to their product.

Roku don't want to admit to A...it's easier to blame cables, other vendors and so on. Also, you can delay having to admit anything by just keep asking for more information. Maybe their diagnostics do not given them enough information to determine the issue, but why a company the size of Roku couldn't just **bleep** on down to Best Buy and pick up a QN90C or an S90C and test it themselves does make you wonder.

Roku really don't want to admit to B, because then they essentially are admitting they have a bad product, and while it may be limited to certain configurations, existing owners with those configurations would feel justifiably wronged. Also, once they admit there is an inherent hardware issue, they'd need to have a plan to replace their flagship product...and then there are a lot of 'bad' ones out there that people aren't going to want to buy...regardless of how isolated the issue is to a specific configuration.

Roku could admit to C, but then they are on the hook to provide an update to address the issue, and that then means timelines and deliverables, and anything that slips makes them look bad. Far better to keep stalling while the fix is being worked on and tested, and then announce a fix, a have it available at the same time. That of course assumes they CAN fix it via software...which isn't a given.

So, A is bad, B is probably worse, C isn't much better - there simply is no upside for Roku to admit they have a problem, and it's better for them just to keep dropping the same form-letter responses, and the few people that are affected will probably just give up and move on...after all, Roku already has their money anyway. In the meantime, keep pushing option D - the issue is with your cables, your soundbar, your TV, your power grid, sunspots, anything except their product....because the other alternatives are just not good for Roku. 

pwrOverload
Reel Rookie

I install AV systems professionally. These HDCP errors have been going on for about 1 year now and have been a major source of frustration for the industry. It's a well known issue, but has had zero acknowledgment from Roku.

This error seem to be random. I have seen it happen on all sorts of setups using various hardware. Always with a 4802, but that is the only current gen Roku model I install. I have never seen this with older models. I have seen this when connected directly to 2023 Samsung TV's as well as 2023 Sony TV's (the only two brands I sell). I have also seen this when connected through AVR's. None of the other sources connected to the same TV or AVR will have issues with HDCP. HDMI cables along with all the other products are always of high quality and what would be expected from a professional install.

When this error occurs and I have been able to investigate in person, the resolution of the Roku seems to be dropped to 720p. Forcing the resolution does not resolve the issue or stop it from happening. Auto power down after 20 mins is off, as is 1-touch play (HDMI CEC?).

The only way to fix this problem is by rebooting the Roku. As soon as the Roku is rebooted the error will clear itself for some period of time (weeks, months, etc).

It would be nice if the error screen suggested to reboot the Roku, or had a button on the screen to do this. Currently the only solution to the problem is the one that isn't listed!

I currently don't recommend Roku anymore due to this and a few other issues. I have told my customers about the problem and how to fix it when it happens.