Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Greg54
Reel Rookie

Roku Ultra Freezes Between Applications and/or Programs

Jump to solution

Everything works fine for the first hour or so.  But if I finish a program and go back to another program or application, the system freezes up. I then have to remove the power cord and reattach. Then the Roku screen comes on, reboots, and then everything is fine for another hour or so.  This happens across all my applications — YouTube TV, Hulu, Acorn, Netflix, etc. This is a new unit.  Never had this problem with my Roku streaming stick, which was attached to the same LG television. I find that when I first turn on my television using the Roku Ultra remote it initially says no signal detected, but then does connect after about 20 seconds.  This was never an issue with my Roku streaming stick.  I’m using the same HDMI port as I did with the stick. The freezing issue also happens going from one recorded program in YouTube  TV to another recorded program in YouTube TV. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Greg54
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku Ultra Freezes Between Applications and/or Programs

Jump to solution

Renojim suggested turning off the power save function. Sure enough, that solved the freezing issue and delayed response issue. Thanks Renojim!  Roku should set the default on power save to off. 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

It may not do anything to help the freezing problem, but try turning off "power saving" under Settings->System->Power to get rid of the "no signal" issue.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Ello2022
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@renojim  That advice should be your signature. It’s the only thing you say over and over and over. Like a rubber stamp. I myself have never even seen that feature on any of my Ultras or Sticks.

@Greg54  So you previously had a Stick and now you bought an Ultra? What model and when did you purchase it? I use YouTube TV all the time. Works great across all my Roku. Ultra, Sticks and TVs. What is your internet speed by the way? Run a check connection test on your Roku Ultra. Go to settings/network. Also how far away is your Roku to your modem? Have you rebooted your modem and router? 

0 Kudos
Greg54
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

System check shows my signal is “Excellent”, connectivity is wireless, and no issues. 

0 Kudos
Ello2022
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@Greg54  I don’t believe you ran a check connection test. When you run the test it’ll give you an overall speed test result. Excellent just means that your Roku can talk to your router. But you need to run an actual speed test. So click on check connection. When the test is over you will see a speed test on Mbps. What is that speed? Also what model is Roku?

0 Kudos
Greg54
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I have a fiber network through AT&T. My download speed measures 41Mbps (Good).  The Ultra model number is 4800R. 

0 Kudos
Greg54
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Renojim suggested turning off the power save function. Sure enough, that solved the freezing issue and delayed response issue. Thanks Renojim!  Roku should set the default on power save to off. 

makaiguy

Jump to solution

@Greg54 wrote:

Roku should set the default on power save to off. 

I could not agree more and suggested this to Roku when it was first introduced in Roku 10.5.   The power savings aren't all that great and for the hassle it causes, I don't think it's worth having this feature activated.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
makaiguy

Jump to solution

@Ello2022 wrote:

@renojim  That advice should be your signature. It’s the only thing you say over and over and over. Like a rubber stamp. I myself have never even seen that feature on any of my Ultras or Sticks.

@Ello2022- May I suggest you read this post from this same thread?  https://community.roku.com/t5/Playback-Issues-Audio-Video-Power/Roku-Ultra-Freezes-Between-Applicati...   Jim's advice is spot on.  Maybe I'll put it in my signature too.

"Settings > System > Power > Auto power savings" went in with Roku 10.5 on "newer" devices (despite requests, I've never seen a listing from Roku of which models these "newer devices" actually are).   I didn't have it on my Streaming Stick+ 3810 under Roku 10.5, and still don't after getting Roku 11 today, but it's been there on my Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 under Roku 10.5 since I installed it in December 2021 (I'm in the middle of updating this one to Roku 11 as I type)..

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos