Solving playback issues

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pez
Level 8

Re: Roku Tech Support

atc98092:  A couple of questions:

As far as new videos not showing up in Plex that I mentioned, you suggested to "...force a manual scan from the UI bt clicking the 3 dots on the Movies line, then selecting Scan Library Files".  Before you even suggested that, I had already tried it.   😉  Maybe Plex just isn't working for me, so......

You mentioned "Serviio".  I went to their web site and....it appears to be totally free?  Not "shareware/ nagware"?  If I install it to my PC, it will work with my Roku Ultra player?  And movies with DTS audio will play?  Since you're a user of it.....any tips or suggestions?   😄 :) 😮

And.....I might in the near future look into getting a soundbar that can decode DTS (DD+).  You mentioned a soundbar with HDMI inputs.  How would all of that work with a Roku player, TV, and soundbar?

From the Roku player with an HDMI cable to the soundbar.....and then from the soundbar with another HDMI cable to the TV?

Thanks for any info;

Pez

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

"Pez" wrote:

atc98092:  A couple of questions:

As far as new videos not showing up in Plex that I mentioned, you suggested to "...force a manual scan from the UI bt clicking the 3 dots on the Movies line, then selecting Scan Library Files".  Before you even suggested that, I had already tried it.   😉  Maybe Plex just isn't working for me, so......

When servers like Plex scan the files, it's making a decision if the file is playable. If it thinks it's not a playable file, it doesn't appear. That might be an explanation, but I can't say how to correct it.

You mentioned "Serviio".  I went to their web site and....it appears to be totally free?  Not "shareware/ nagware"?  If I install it to my PC, it will work with my Roku Ultra player?  And movies with DTS audio will play?  Since you're a user of it.....any tips or suggestions?   😄 🙂 😮

Serviio has two versions: a free, no shareware or nag issues, and a paid Pro version that adds some additional functionality. If you are only using it within your home network, the free version offers everything you need. The Pro version adds the MediaBrowser, which allows you to view your media from outside your network via a web browser, and also adds an API library that permits access via some other apps, specifically an Android app called ServiiGo. This page describes the differences. For me, the MediaBrowser function makes it worth the $25. 

And.....I might in the near future look into getting a soundbar that can decode DTS (DD+).  You mentioned a soundbar with HDMI inputs.  How would all of that work with a Roku player, TV, and soundbar? From the Roku player with an HDMI cable to the soundbar.....and then from the soundbar with another HDMI cable to the TV?

Yes, I would suggest a soundbar with multiple HDMI inputs and an HDMI TV output. Basically it does the same functions as a audio video receiver, but the speakers are contained in the same unit. Personally, I prefer an AVR that allows me to use separate speakers, but some people would rather not have the wires running everywhere. The soundbar option most likely wouldn't be much cheaper than an AVR and speakers, since it has to have the same processing power and functionality of the AVR. It's more the convenience. I just did a quick search, and if you want something with multiple HDMI inputs, it's tough to find in a soundbar. I'd say an AVR is the smarter way to go. 
Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Event_Video
Level 7

"Pez" wrote:
Hi all; thanks for all the replies.

So, act98092, this is, in-fact, an official Roku forum; didn't know that   😮

Throughout the years, I've discovered many forums of products that are not officially sanctioned by the company itself, but, rather, are more of a "fan-based" thing; but, you can still get some really good tips, tricks, & pointers from them (and sometimes, almost better that official tech support!!  😉 ).

And yes, I've discovered that Roku 1st Level Tech Support leaves something to be desired.  And what I'm about to say is not meant to be a "bragging thing", but more a statement of fact to give this some context: I used to work in the education field, and, have taught language arts.  And not that a person has to be a language arts major to notice this, but, I noticed in the reply I received from Roku Tech support that the language, grammar, syntax, etc., was very broken & choppy; I don't think English was their first language.

Anyway....

Per your request on the info for my Roku device:  I went into Settings/ System/ About; I did not see a listing for what you asked below, I did not see "Firmware".  But here's what I did find:
 - Model # 466OX - Roku Ultra
 - Software version 9.00; build 4114-46

I tried some searching around within Settings but could find no listing of the word "Firmware"; if you know where it is, could you steer me in the right direction?

Now: my issue....the problem I'm having.

First, to give this a little context, I have a Sony "Smart" Blu-ray player, model BDP-S6700.  Since it's a "Smart" device, besides using it to play Blu-ray discs, I also used it to stream video content from my Windows 10 PC to the Blu-ray player (and also subscription services such as Netflix, Hulu, etc.), and then watch this video from the my PC onto my HD television (the TV is an LG, model 42CS570; it's not a "Smart" TV, so hence the reason I used the Blu-ray player or the Roku device).

Well, I hardly ever watch Blu-ray discs anymore, and, occasionally this Sony Blu-ray player would flake out on me as far as wireless connectivity; it would even "freeze up" on occasion, and the only way to unfreeze it would be to unplug it from its AC power source (pushing the power button was not effective).

So, I thought I'd invest in Roku's Ultra device; I could use it with my subscription services, plus stream content from my PC.

The specific issue I had was streaming an .mkv file from my PC to the Roku device.  The video would show up (sharp & clear!), but there was no sound (as if it was muted).

From some searching I did on these forums, I found out I was not the only one experiencing this issue (.mkv file playback/ audio issue).  But I don't think I came across a definitive answer/ solution.

One of the questions that Roku support asked me was what was the audio codec in this .mkv file; it's DTS Audio (dts ).

If I go into the Roku's Settings/ Audio, instead of Auto-Select, you can specifically choose DTS; I tried this, but the .mkv's file still only plays video, no audio.

As a test, I did this:  I used the Sony Blu-ray player and streamed the .mkv file on my PC; the file played both video & audio with no issue (so yes, the Blu-ray player and my TV can playback the audio codec from the .mkv file).

I turned off the Blu-ray player, went to my Roku player, and navigated my way to the same .mkv file that had just played successfully through the Blu-ray player; video....no audio.

So, the last thing I wrote to Roku tech support (of which I am still awaiting a reply) is this:

- My TV (LG, model 42CS570) and my Blu-ray player (Sony, model BDP-S6700, a model that is 3+ years old now) can stream an .mkv video file from my Windows 10 computer with its built-in DLNA server with no problem with video and audio playback; your Roku Ultra device cannot: why not? Can't this be fixed by either a software (or firmware??) update through the Roku Ultra device's wireless connection through my Wi-Fi signal?

And when you go to this link: MiniDLNA

The Roku is using Roku Media Player.

I want to get your files and compare results for better captures later.
I also want to get you a test file to evaluate sharing capacity from my home DLNA server.

File  (using media info) is (original Aug 30 1989) 3:58 minute test 170 MiB with Video 640*480 AVC (Main@L3) 44.1 khz 2 channel PCM (Little / Signed) .
Now uploaded to Vimeo for a limited time.

How could I make it available without posting on a public website that would create extra step ?
How can I get one from you to test ?
I am beginning to write a Roku Channel app that I will share privately to family in many countries outside the main land USA.

Lee T. Davy
Event Video Multimedia (retired)
Event Video Multimedia was established in 1984 (Big Brother?).
Latest cameras are Zoom Q2n and Nikon Keymission 360.
Learning to make a Roku channel to share samples of others home movies !
PM me if you have something to contribute !
0 Kudos
basketbuild
Level 9

Whenever I experience an issue with audio, I just convert it using ffmpeg:
cd c:\Movies

ffmpeg -i movie.mkv -c:v copy -strict experimental -c:a aac -ac 2 -ab 256K movie.mp4

Comes from top reply to this post on reddit: [link removed] 
0 Kudos
Pez
Level 8

Hi; it's been a while since I've been back.

Instead of the built-in Roku server, I've been using Plex for a little while.  I had a little trouble with it at first and found out some info over on the Plex Forums; my issue had to do with a "naming scheme" in order for the videos to show up properly when Plex would scan my library of video files.  That's all good now....and, on top of that, it plays my files (.mkv files) with both video AND audio!  The DTS audio track had been an issue prior to this as the Roku media server could not decode DTS and would just act as a pass-through.

atc98092:  If you're still there, one of the last things we were talking about was sound bars.  Yes, I've been looking into that also, as I would like to enjoy some rich sound but get rid of an old speaker system I have.

But in order to do this properly - to have the audio go from the Roku player box and then also my TV - then the sound bar has to have multiple HDMI ports, correct?  Input & Output?

I'm going to give you a link to Amazon.com.  This particular sound bar from Yamaha has two HDMI ports: one is list as "In", and the other is "Out (ARC)".  I did a search on this "ARC", and it has something to do with....return audio?

And this Yamaha sound bar also mentions DTS audio.

Please take a look and let me know if you think this will work for me:
https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-YAS-108-Built-Subwoofers-Bluetooth/dp/B07D73HMVR/ref=sr_1_21?crid=3RRE...

Thanks,
Pez
0 Kudos
atc98092

"Pez" wrote:

Instead of the built-in Roku server, I've been using Plex for a little while.  I had a little trouble with it at first and found out some info over on the Plex Forums; my issue had to do with a "naming scheme" in order for the videos to show up properly when Plex would scan my library of video files.  That's all good now....and, on top of that, it plays my files (.mkv files) with both video AND audio!  The DTS audio track had been an issue prior to this as the Roku media server could not decode DTS and would just act as a pass-through.

atc98092:  If you're still there, one of the last things we were talking about was sound bars.  Yes, I've been looking into that also, as I would like to enjoy some rich sound but get rid of an old speaker system I have.

But in order to do this properly - to have the audio go from the Roku player box and then also my TV - then the sound bar has to have multiple HDMI ports, correct?  Input & Output?

I'm going to give you a link to Amazon.com.  This particular sound bar from Yamaha has two HDMI ports: one is list as "In", and the other is "Out (ARC)".  I did a search on this "ARC", and it has something to do with....return audio?

this Best Buy page shows some examples, and most likely they can be found on Amazon as well. 
Dan

0 Kudos
Pez
Level 8

Hi; thanks for the informative reply!

The Optical Input:  Yes, my TV has the Optical Output, and I had used it previously (I took the Optical Output from the TV and plugged it into the back of my receiver/ amplifier Input).

And yes, I know that an HDMI cable connection is the preferred method.  Let me tell you what I have hooked up at the moment:

Yes, I do have a "Smart" Blu-ray player, but it is not hooked up anymore.  We found that we were rarely using it (hardly ever use DVD's or Blu-ray discs anymore), so it's not hooked up to the TV or active anymore.

Here's what we do have hooked up:

- A Dish Network satellite box
 - A Roku Ultra Media Player box

The satellite box & Roku box are both hooked up to the TV via an HDMI cable (the TV has multiple HDMI input ports in addition to that Optical Output I mentioned).

Now, since it appears you have some expertise in this, tell me if what I'm describing next would work, and, which would be more preferable:

1.)  Let's say I left the hookup the way I have it now:  The Dish network satellite box and the Roku box each connected to the TV via their own separate HDMI cable.  But then, run the Optical Output line from the TV to the Sound Bar: If I played something from the Roku box (or the satellite box for that matter), and it happened to have DTS sound, would this go through to the Sound Bar (the Amazon link I gave to the Yamaha Sound Bar) and be decoded properly?

2.)  Or, how about this (not sure if this makes sense, so I'll defer to your expertise):  Focusing on just the Roku box for the moment:  I connect the Roku box with an HDMI cable to the Input on the Sound Bar; then another HDMI cable from the Sound Bar's HDMI Output to the TV's Input.  Did I get that right?  Would that then decode DTS sound properly?

Did the two options I describe make sense?  Did I get them "technically" correct?  If so, is one "better" or more preferable than the other?

Thanks for your time, help, and input on this; I appreciate it.
Pez
0 Kudos
atc98092

"Pez" wrote:

Here's what we do have hooked up:

- A Dish Network satellite box
 - A Roku Ultra Media Player box

The satellite box & Roku box are both hooked up to the TV via an HDMI cable (the TV has multiple HDMI input ports in addition to that Optical Output I mentioned).

Now, since it appears you have some expertise in this, tell me if what I'm describing next would work, and, which would be more preferable:

1.)  Let's say I left the hookup the way I have it now:  The Dish network satellite box and the Roku box each connected to the TV via their own separate HDMI cable.  But then, run the Optical Output line from the TV to the Sound Bar: If I played something from the Roku box (or the satellite box for that matter), and it happened to have DTS sound, would this go through to the Sound Bar (the Amazon link I gave to the Yamaha Sound Bar) and be decoded properly?

The first issue is that not all TVs will send multi-channel sound via their optical out from external sources. I don't know of any authoritative document that lists which do and which don't. If yours doesn't, they you'll only get stereo to the soundbar. 
I don't think you'll ever see DTS from the satellite receiver, so that should work fine. For audio from the Roku, you have the potential for both DTS and DD+, and again some TVs won't decode either, so it won't be sent out the optical out. At best you get stereo, at worst you have no sound at all.

2.)  Or, how about this (not sure if this makes sense, so I'll defer to your expertise):  Focusing on just the Roku box for the moment:  I connect the Roku box with an HDMI cable to the Input on the Sound Bar; then another HDMI cable from the Sound Bar's HDMI Output to the TV's Input.  Did I get that right?  Would that then decode DTS sound properly?

Did the two options I describe make sense?  Did I get them "technically" correct?  If so, is one "better" or more preferable than the other?

Thanks for your time, help, and input on this; I appreciate it.
Pez

Assuming you are using the soundbar you linked previously, it appears it would support native DTS audio, so yes it would handle any DTS from the Roku. Assuming your TV passes the DD audio from the Dish receiver, you will get surround from both devices. What the soundbar doesn't appear to support is DD+. That would mean you might have issues getting audio from sties like Netflix or Amazon, which use DD+ as their audio codec. I downloaded the user manual, and it only mentions DD and DTS as supported audio bitstreams. 
Dan

0 Kudos

"atc98092" wrote:
"Pez" wrote:

some soundbars with more than one input: this Best Buy page shows some examples, and most likely they can be found on Amazon as well. 

When using the Roku TV YouTube channel to test delay, that seems to consistently be 0ms on the TV speakers. I don't have any other speakers to test with at the moment, but previously I was connecting various soundbars and there was always a delay. I don't remember if I got a number or it was just the "echo test", which is when I have the TV speakers and an external speaker both powered on and I can hear the TV speaker play first, followed by the external speaker.
0 Kudos
TRICKIDICK
Level 7

I HAVE A ROKU ULTRA 4800X. I HAVE CHATTED WITH ROKU AND TALKED TO NETFLIX AND STILL HAVE A PROBLEM LOADING NETFLIX. HOWEVER I CAN LOAD IT ON MY SAMSUNG DVD PLAYER.

HELP

0 Kudos