Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DevinG98
Reel Rookie

Roku TV does whatever it wants

If you're gonna sell a pos tv that does whatever it wants when you're trying to use it then find a new hobby cause making a tv is definitely not one of your skills

Labels (1)
5 REPLIES 5
Emissary35
Roku Guru

Re: Roku TV does whatever it wants

Some details about everything the TV is doing wrong would be nice.

0 Kudos
DevinG98
Reel Rookie

Turns itself on and off, randomly goes to YouTube and turns the volume full blast and starts playing music, an easier question to answer is what it doesn't do, have to unplug it every night just to get sleep

0 Kudos
Stvhooker3
Binge Watcher

The whole idea of a Roku TV is a bad one. Roku updates automatically, and eventually your imbedded player won't be able to run it's updated OS reliably. If you have a standalone player, you go out and by a $40 or $50 newplayer to fix the situation. If you have a Roku TV, you go buy a new TV. 

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@Stvhooker3, that's not entirely true.  You don't need to buy a new TV, just buy an updated Roku device (or any other streaming device) and connect it to your Roku TV.  It can always be used as a "dumb" TV.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
Emissary35
Roku Guru

All smart TVs suffer the same thing, eventually software updates stop coming and the older hardware in the TV can't run the new updated versions of apps, that is not unique to Roku TVs. When that happens you can just buy an affordable streaming device that is new and connect it to one of the HDMI inputs and you'll be just fine.

You should never buy a TV for it's apps or operating system, buy it for how good the display is. These Roku TVs seem to have a lot of problems for some reason with their operating systems and how they interact with the TV brands they are installed on.

I would suggest to the original poster to do a factory reset of the TV, then set it up as a basic TV. Meaning don't connect it to wifi or your Roku account. Get a new Roku player or other streaming device and hook it up to one of the HDMI inputs and use that for all of your streaming.

0 Kudos