Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kaisemic
Reel Rookie

Roku Streaming Stick not working with ARC/AVR unless power is reset

I have a Roku 4k streaming stick connected to a Hisense TV, which is connected via HDMI/ARC to a Denon receiver. If all three turn on at the same time, the Roku will only play sound through the TV, not the receiver. In order to fix that, I have to turn on the TV and receiver first, wait for them to load, then plug in the Roku.  After that, it works fine. If the Roku falls asleep due to inactivity, it reverts to the TV speakers and I have to restart this whole process.

I’ve tried every TV HDMI port and with or without the USB power with no change. I swapped the Roku stick out for a Google TV dongle and it worked without any problem, so the issue is limited to the Roku stick. This started right out of the box.

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Streaming Stick not working with ARC/AVR unless power is reset

If you're using the TV's USB port to power the stick, try using the supplied USB power adapter plugged into the wall.  Also, if there's a "power saving" option under Settings->System->Power, try disabling it.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
kaisemic
Reel Rookie

I appreciate the suggestion. I’ve tried with and without the power adapter but the end result is the same. 

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Sorry, I missed the part where you said that you tried it with and without the USB power adapter.  Does your stick have the "power saving" option under Settings->System->Power?  Some Roku devices do and some don't.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.