Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Roku Streaming Stick - Streaming apps going back to Home Screen.

Update! Exchanged the defective Roku Stick at place of purchase and now everything is working fine.  Case closed and thanks for your attempted assistance. 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
13 REPLIES 13
BJames
Binge Watcher

Re: Roku Streaming Stick - Streaming apps going back to Home Screen.

It is definitely a Roku software issue, I returned my new Roku streaming 4K device and reinstalled my.old Roku that is 4 or 5 years old on my tv and it works great.  No kicking, great pic and have been using it for 2 days now..  I returned my new Roku and now am uncertain what to get for the tv upstairs since to took that Roku to use on my family room tv.  I wish Roku would own up to this issue, and at least tell us that they are working on a solution.  The damage they are doing to customer loyalty will haunt them for years.  No one likes a company that doesn't respond to customers and doesn't own up to their shortfalls.

0 Kudos
BJames
Binge Watcher

Hi Elaora, you are correct that not everything is Roku's faulted but in this case I am convinced it is.  In my previous posts, I noted that I swapped our the new Roku that was constantly sending me back to my home page with an older Roku (about 4 years old) that was on one of my other tv's.  Since I swapped out the new Roku all the kicking to the home page stopped.  I have now been using the old Roku for 4 or 5 days now and it has not kicked me to the home once over that time span.  So, my conclusion is that the either there is a hardware problem or a software problem with the new Roku sticks (most likely a software issue).  I was using the Roku streaming 4K stick when the kicking started,

As I also stated in a previous post, it is disappointing that Roku employees are not continuing to communicate with Roku users on this issue.  They continue to post online the same solutions to solve this issue over and over again.  All of us have tried their solutions with no results.  

Pbjdunn1

My Roku stick was doing the same thing. It played for a couple of minutes then kicked me out and took me back to the home screen. I had unplugged it earlier and there is a button on the stick and I must have hit it when plugging it back in. So i went over to the stick and hit the button on it again, and since then it's working just fine now. There must be a stand by mode on the stick. This worked for me. 

0 Kudos
BJames
Binge Watcher

I tried everything suggested by users for a new Roku stick, not a Roku TV, and had no success, so I returned it, got an Amazon fire stick and it works great.  Interestingly, I have 2 old Rokus that work perfectly.

0 Kudos
Summerlyne

Did all the above steps, even bought a new Roku (streaming stick). It worked for a day, then every time I go to listen to music on Amazon Music, it kicks me out after 2-10 or so songs(it's always different), and takes me back to the home screen. I have a SANYO. It never used to do this until about a month or two ago.

0 Kudos
BJames
Binge Watcher

Hi Rey, not sure you read all the other posts but I had 2 Roku sticks both worked perfectly and continue to work perfectly and are 6 years old.  Got a new Roku for a tv downstairs but removed one of the old Rokus so still only had 2 devices.  The old Roku still worked perfectly, only the new Roku kicked me back to the Home Screen.  So there is no network overload issue.  Tried all suggestions offered by others on this link but nothing worked.  Traded it in for an Amazon fire stick and now have 1 fire stick and 2 old Rokus that all work perfectly.  Just a note, I have never updated my old Roku devices 🤔🤔, logic would say it is probably a software problem.

Final comment, it is evident that Roku, does not believe there is a problem, Roku has never admitted there is a problem, so Roku is not making any effort to correct the problem.  Only solution is find a different streaming device!  Oh, please note,  I am not bashing Roku, I still own two Roku sticks that work great! I am bashing the TOTAL lack of customer service, not admitting there is a problem, and not informing the community of what efforts Roku is taking to solve the issue!

0 Kudos
Teresaluther
Binge Watcher

You are replying to the wrong person.  My info is below and it’s every app on the tv.   I did add a Roku stick I had from an old tv on this problem one and had an entire evening without a single error.  

0 Kudos
ZBrown

I have a Roku device and it has been doing this as well. It just started today as I have been able to watch regularly up until now.  I did all the **bleep** Roku said to do and it's not overheating. This keeps up I'm going to get an Nvidia Shield and toss this piece of **bleep**.

Fooldog01
Reel Rookie

Same thing happening to me. Every app is kicking me back to the home screen after 3 minutes or so of watching. A factory reset fixed it for less than a day.

Model 3810x

Serial YH009F320798

Software 12.5.0 build 4178-50