Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roku Streaming Stick 4K Has to be unplugged an plugged in again if TV turned off more than half hour

Installed 2 Roku Streaming Stick 4K devices today.  Both seem to work fine.  However, if I power off either TV for more than 30-40 minutes, there is no signal feed from the Roku device any longer.  I can correct the problem by unplugging power to Roku device and replugging in.  Problem occurs with both devices and happens repeatedly.  One TV is a Vizio and the other an LG

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Streaming Stick 4K Has to be unplugged an plugged in again if TV turned off more than half

If you're powering the stick from the TV's USB port that could explain it.  Another possibility is that the stick is going into a "power saving" mode.  Pressing any button on the Roku remote (except for the TV controls - power, volume, mute) should "wake" the stick.  A lot of people think that power button on the Roku remote affects the Roku device, but it does not - it's strictly to turn the TV off/on.  You may also want to disable the "power saving" mode under Settings->System->Power that seems to cause more problems than it's worth.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
pm1944

Re: Roku Streaming Stick 4K Has to be unplugged an plugged in again if TV turned off more than half

I am really getting tired of plugging and unplugging the TV everytime I want to watch streaming shows with this new stick. I had the old box before and never had this problem, my internet is secure and works fine, not sure what the problem is but you can have this back if I can't get a solution soon. Makes no sense when it worked fine months ago, now it is always plug and unplug the power. pmb

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

@pm1944  -

Roku menu path Settings/System/About will show you your Roku model and model number. It's a good idea to report these when asking questions because different models have different features and capabilities. If we know the model you can get better targeted suggestions.

Having said that ...

Starting with Roku operating system version 10.5 a new "Power" item was added in the "Settings > System" menu for some of the newer Roku device models. At this writing they are Streaming Stick 4K/4K+ (3820/3821), Express 4K/4K+ (3940/3941), Roku 4 (4400), and Ultra/Ultra LT (4800/4801).

If you have one of these models, the new "Auto power savings" item there will put your Roku device into a low power standby condition after a 20 minute period of inactivity, in which nothing has been streaming and no user interaction has been received. In this state neither its connection to your home network nor its HDMI signal to your TV are active.

Pressing a Roku control key (like the Home button) on your Roku remote (not Power, Volume, or Mute buttons, if your remote has them, as they act on the TV, not the Roku) should bring the Roku out of standby and back to full operation. As you've found, pulling the power for a few seconds to restart the Roku will restore full operation as well.

If you disable "Settings > System > Power > Auto power savings > After 20 minutes of no interaction" it should prevent your Roku from going into standby in the first place. The power savings are very small and for the hassle it causes most users, I don't think it's worth having this feature activated.

For further details, see this Roku information page: https://support.roku.com/article/6306527767575

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos