Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roku Stick keeps freezing

Anyone know how to stop Roku Stick from freezing. It started two weeks ago. It would freeze on the screensaver. The remote is working because I’m able to use it for the volume and to power off my television.  I have to unplug the Roku Stick and plug it back in for it to work again. Now it’s freezing on Tubi Tv. Can someone help resolve this issue?

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
lorettapittman1
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku Stick keeps freezing

I'm also having the same issue I have to constantly restart my roku like 3 times a night. 

0 Kudos
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Dolemite1375 @lorettapittman1,

Welcome to the Roku Community, and thanks for letting us know about this behavior when using Roku Streaming Stick.

Could you tell us how you are powering your devices? Is it connected directly to a wall outlet or to a USB port on your TV? Have you also tried restarting your wireless router and see if that helps the issue you're seeing?

With more information, we'll be able to further look into this.

Thanks,

Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
ConnieVT

How do I get my roku streaming stick 4K to work again.  It is frozen on the home page but I can't get it to click over to the right to select channels.

0 Kudos
lorettapittman1
Reel Rookie

Mine is actually the roku box and it's cutting out when watching a movie and I have to constantly restart it in order to play Philo and paramount channels as well as other channels. I also have rebooted my internet many times. I have it plug directly into the back of my TV. This particular box I'm using is the only one. All my other rokus work fine also this one I have to check for updates but all the other ones automatically updates.

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

@lorettapittman1-

When you say it is plugged directly into the back of the TV, are you referring to the power cord?  If so, try powering from house power via a USB power adapter  -- one may have been supplied with the Roku*.

The ports on many televisions only supply 0.5 amp or less, which is not enough to power a Roku reliably. It may appear to start up okay, but when it runs into something that requires more power than the tv's USB port can provide, something's got to give. Frequently this results in shutting down the stream you are viewing and exiting back to the Roku home screen.

If this is a new problem, possibly an update to either the Roku operating software or to some channel app software is using a little more power than in the past. If you were just barely scraping by before, this might push you over the edge.

*If your Roku didn't come with an adapter, or if you don't have a Roku adapter handy, any other USB power adapter you have from another device should work as long as the fine print on it says it outputs at least 1 amp.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
StreamingFam
Reel Rookie

Happening to me too for past few months with both my streaming Roku sticks. I kept thinking it was the batteries on the remote (so kept putting new ones). But that wasn’t it…wasted a lot of good batteries 🤦🏻‍♀️. The only thing that works (most of the time) is unplugging the Roku stick from the outlet, waiting about a minute and plugging back in. But lately even that has been failing at times. 
i searched the Roku community and looks like it is an issue with many peoples Roku devices.  They really should fix it or recall them and send us ones that work! 
I saw one guy post and say that doing a “factory reset” set him to the newest Roku update.  (Before doing the factory reset, his Roku said he had the latest version but it was not. ) so I may try that next.  

0 Kudos