Solving playback issues

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KatZee
Level 7

Re: Roku Premiere on Samsung TV turns off and then powers back up

Mine is doing the exact same thing and it's annoying af. I can't even stream a movie without it turning off and on throughout the entire thing. I turned off 1-Touch Play and it's still doing it.

0 Kudos
boogernose
Level 18

Might be more related to the power supply of your Premiere.

If you jiggle the power wire at the roku and supply does it

repeat the problem???

---A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved---.
0 Kudos
rdzjuanthe
Level 7

Did you find a solution to this problem?

0 Kudos

Mine was rebooting whenever I started a video on some apps (mainly redbox).

I switched the Roku power from the TV’s usb to the wall dongle and that solved it. I think the Roku was drawing too much power from the tv.

This is disappointing because I don’t like my Roku to be on all the time. I think it runs too hot (like 90C when “off”) and will eventually fail, but only time will tell.

0 Kudos
dfun470
Level 9

My problem is a little different.  My Roku Premier ran fine for a year or so, then suddenly one day every time I tried to turn on my AV amp (Yamaha V-367) it would shut down.  Three times then I'd have to cycle the power to retry.  As I had recently moved the amp to vacuum underneath, I thought I had caused some sort of speaker short, and chased that for a few days.  Eventually disassembled and rewired everything and finally traced it to the Roku's HDMI cable input. 

Another cable failed also, so it seems to be the roku's output doing something that the protection system on my amp doesn't like.  Well, I got as year out of it before it failed.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@dfun470

Thanks for the post.

How are you powering the Roku device? Is the device being powered by the USB cable or is it plugged into a wall outlet?

With more information we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
dfun470
Level 9

I had been running both ways during my usage. Recently I had it plugged into a USB port on the TV, as that seemed the best option to limit the amount of on-time of the unit. As I had previously run into problems with a different port on my TV that only supplied a 1/2 amp maximum current, I switched it to the included AC adapter; but the problem persisted.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@dfun470

Thanks for the follow up.

Have you tried powering the Roku device through a wall outlet? In addition, are you connecting the Roku device to your AVR or is it connected to your TV? Have you tried replacing the HDMI cable being used to connect the Roku device?

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
dfun470
Level 9

Yes, as I said above I had most recently been powering it from an AC outlet using its supplied USB adapter.  I also tried a spare HDMI cable that I use for streaming from my chromebook to my AV system.  My amp shutdown using this cable.  In order to rule out the HDMI port I moved this same cable to the HDMI2 port, where it also caused the amp to shutdown.  

Since I was getting repeated shutdowns with my roku premiere on while my amp was starting up -usually 9 or 12 times until my amp would finally stay powered, after which I could run it for hours, without shutdown; but would encounter problems the next morning- but was never seeing startup issues with the roku off (while listening to other sources), after a while I would only test it once or twice.  If it shutdown,  concluded I had not eliminated the problem, if it stayed on, I was might have corrected it; and would find out for real the next morning. Does that make sense?  

So, it remains a mystery, but clearly seems linked to my Yamaha AV amp not liking something that is going on while the Roku Prmr is starting....and since my roku can't really start 'truly' operating until the AV receiver is active, the receiver 'always' experiences the roku starting-up?   As my Indian friend used to say: "It is a Puzzlement.".

0 Kudos
dfun470
Level 9

After a little more work, I have determined that the problem is NOT with my Roku Premier, But is with my Yamaha receiver.  Sorry for the misdirection.

0 Kudos