Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Michelle3
Roku Guru

Roku Pluto TV aspect ratio issue

Jump to solution

I have a 2018 Roku Express+ and the model number is 3910RW, and I have it connected to a 16:9 LCD TV via RCA in the guest room. Yesterday, when I set my Roku to “4:3 standard” via Settings > Display type, I noticed something a scam about Pluto TV. 16:9 channels display properly letterboxed, but 4:3 channels contain windowbox bars at the top, bottom, left and right sides, and that is acting like they’re pillarboxed to 16:9, then letterboxed to 4:3. It knows that it is filled to 16:9, then letterboxed to 4:3 when 16:9 channels are played, but when 4:3 channels are played, it thinks it’s pillarboxed to 16:9, then letterboxed to 4:3?

Does anyone have a solution to this issue? On the Roku itself, changing the aspect ratio via Settings > Display type to “16:9 widescreen” vertically stretches from 16:9 signal to 4:3 output, unfortunately, nor is it possible.

This issue occurs on my Nintendo Wii U, too, when watching 4:3 content on streaming apps, but the reason why they’re windowboxed by the Nintendo Wii U is because its main menu unfortunately seems to only support 16:9, so 16:9 signal from it will probably be letterboxed to 4:3 output when the aspect ratio is set to 4:3. Must be fixed on the Pluto TV Roku app soon.

Thanks for any responses!

~Jordan

I’m into videotapes and old electronics stuff, including extenders, converters and analog 4:3 TV sets (which are obsolete these days), and Miss Bianca is my favorite character in Disney’s The Rescuers (1977) and its sequel, The Rescuers Down Under (1990). I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Michelle3
Roku Guru

Re: Roku Pluto TV aspect ratio issue

Jump to solution

Okay, I think that Roku fixed this issue, if they did, thanks!

~Jordan

I’m into videotapes and old electronics stuff, including extenders, converters and analog 4:3 TV sets (which are obsolete these days), and Miss Bianca is my favorite character in Disney’s The Rescuers (1977) and its sequel, The Rescuers Down Under (1990). I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Michelle3
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Okay, I think that Roku fixed this issue, if they did, thanks!

~Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos
lspuglisi

Jump to solution

This is happening to me also with Pluto tv using Roku. A show was playing widescreen on my tv just fine but when I moved to another house the same show is full screen only on the same tv. Commercials are widescreen but the show isn't anymore. 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@lspuglisi

Thanks for the post.

Try removing the channel from the Roku home screen by navigating to the channel tile, pressing the * key on your remote and choosing 'Remove channel'. Then restart your device from Settings>System>System restart. Once your player starts up again, add the channel back once more.

Does this clear up the issue you are seeing? Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Michelle3
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I know this was almost two years ago, but it turns out all 4:3 content on PlutoTV is windowboxed with pillar and letter bars when the device is set to output 4:3.  I’m guessing that shortly after Viacom’s second incarnation, which bought out ownership of the app in early 2019, merged with CBS Corporation’s second incarnation into ViacomCBS (now known as Paramount Global since the spring of this year) in late 2019 the app was no longer coded to support proper 4:3, but as of right now, it seems that we’ll never know. ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos