Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Vinndalf
Channel Surfer

Roku Express pauses itself randomly (not buffering)

Jump to solution

I have a Roku Express. I've had it for a few months. Every so often while we're streaming something it just pauses. I don't mean it buffers from a gap in the video stream. I mean the it acts as though I had clicked the Pause button on my remote--even though the remote was on the table next to me. I wasn't touching it. 

The fix is simple: I pick up the remote and hit un-pause, and the playback continues smoothly, immediately. 

The behavior happens randomly. It disappeared for a few weeks and recurred several times last night.

Anyone else seen this problem? Is there a fix?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Vinndalf
Channel Surfer

Re: Roku Express pauses itself randomly (not buffering)

Jump to solution

Roku sent me a replacement device. That worked. No problem with the new device.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
RokuEuniceL
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Vinndalf,

Thanks for posting here in the Roku Community!

We're glad to assist you with your problem with streaming on your Roku device. We'd like to know more about it so we can further assist you. Please provide us with more details.

• When did the issue occur?
  • Is the issue happening on all content or channels, or is this isolated to one content or channel? (Specify)
  • Are you getting any error messages or error codes while trying to play content?
  • How far is your Roku device from your network router?
  • Do you have cellular data, so we can try connecting your device to your hotspot?

We'll be waiting for your response.

Kind regards,

Eunice

Eunice L.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Vinndalf
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thank you for the quick response.

• When did the issue occur?

As I said, it's been off and on for some time. When we use Roku it tends to be in the evening between about 6 and 9 pm (PST) if that helps. The most recent occurrences were on Monday the 27th.

• Is the issue happening on all content or channels, or is this isolated to one content or channel? (Specify)

I didn't think to notice that. We have been using several apps, but I have not noticed if this behavior is particular to one of them. I will start paying attention.

• Are you getting any error messages or error codes while trying to play content?

No, no errors. As I said, the UI acts as though I had clicked the Pause button. It does not look as though the buffer ran dry. There is no slowing down, no degradation of picture quality, no sound dis-coordination. And no error code. The playback just spontaneously pauses itself for no apparent reason, and resumes instantly without difficulty as soon as I click the remote to unpause.

• How far is your Roku device from your network router?

It is at the other end of the house. Roku reaches the router through two chained Unifi wifi access points. The intermediate access point has an ethernet connection to the router.

No need to point out that a more direct connection would be preferable. I am well aware of that, but in my house that would require paying for a second cable connection. The current solution is the result of considerable experimenting and it has been quite reliable for years now. Not perfectly reliable, but but very good. If I put an iPad near the Roku device and do a speed test I see about 99Mbps up and 11.8 Mbps down. (Yes, this is DSL. I'm switching to fiber later this week.) We had TiVo for years on this setup, and then a different Roku device. The pausing we see on this Roku Express is new to us. 

• Do you have cellular data, so we can try connecting your device to your hotspot?

Yes, my phone can provide a hotspot, and I'm willing to try connecting to that. What will that experiment tell us?

0 Kudos
RokuEuniceL
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Vinndalf,

Thanks for the quick response!

Please restart your modem and router by unplugging them from the wall outlet and plugging them back in right after. This can fix some Internet connection problems, occasionally improve slow connections and traffic, and resolve common wireless issues. After doing so, please restart your Roku device by doing the same. Restarting it can clear out any temporary data and resolve any temporary performance issues. Please observe if it fixes the issue. 

If the issue persists, let us try connecting your Roku device to the mobile hotspot. This will help us observe if the issue occurs when it's connected to a different network.

We'll wait for your updates!

Kind regards,

Eunice

Eunice L.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
GMAN75

Jump to solution

I have been having the same issues but with the Roku stick 4k just wondering if you were watching a recorded streaming program or is this live TV program. My issue is happening about the same time in the evening hours PST. I have tried everything rebooting wireless router and modem also I called spectrum tech support they can see the issue and have been out to my home twice now and replaced the modem still happening. I just think it’s odd that you are having the same problem with a Roku device about the same time and hours of the day. I have great speeds super fast it’s not my internet speed. Does anyone from Roku have a fix it’s happening on almost a daily basis 

0 Kudos
Vinndalf
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I was streaming. It was not live TV. 

FWIW, my guess is that the time of day is not terribly significant. That happens to be the time I usually watch. It's not like my TV is on all day but I only have this trouble in the evenings.

It happened again last night, and this time I noticed it was while using Amazon Prime. So that's a data point.

0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Welcome, and thank you for posting here in the Roku Community, @GMAN75.

Providing us with a precise explanation is highly appreciated. No worries. We're here to find you the best resolution possible.

May we know the serial number of the Roku player you are having this issue with so we can check it further and determine the root cause? (if you want to send it via PM, select my username > View Profile > Send this user a private message.)

Furthermore, we suggest connecting your device to an alternative network, such as mobile data, to see if it will make any difference. 

We'll be anticipating your response!

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Thank you for the added information, @Vinndalf!

Can you confirm if you have tried to connect it to a mobile hotspot to see if it will make any difference? In addition, we should also consider how many devices are connected to your Wi-Fi because it may be possible that those devices have been connected simultaneously during those specific times, thus the playback issues. 

We'll be anticipating your response!

Best regards,
Carly 

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Vinndalf
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I have reproduced the problem using a different network. Coincidentally I changed ISPs today from cable (Xfinity) to fiber (Quantum Fiber.) The fiber connection appears to be much better than the cable connection. Latency dropped about 60%. But once again while streaming tonight the device flipped into Paused state. This time we were using the BritBox app on Roku, not Prime. So I think we now know the problem persists after rebooting Roku and router, it is not specific to one ISP, and it is not specific to one app. 

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Same problem on Roku Express... as in it pauses on its own. Not buffers, pauses! I've tried the things. Nothing works. Honestly it's the most annoying thing. Roku needs to fix it.

0 Kudos