Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Vinndalf
Channel Surfer

Re: Roku Express pauses itself randomly (not buffering)

Jump to solution

Now I have a new symptom: three or four times last night while we watched one show, the screen flickered very briefly and the "paused" UI started to appear--the timeline at the bottom of the screen flashed briefly--and then normal streaming resumed. No interruption to sound and just a visual flicker, but it sure looked as though the device started to pause itself and then instantly resumed itself.

0 Kudos
ConanDYossarian
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Same issue here. If this is  buffering feedback it's insane to give users the inpression that it was just paused.

I just wrote out all kinds of detail and then had to login, which took me to my home page and completely cleared what I'd been trying to post... So i won't put it past roku I guess. 

Anyway, it happens in kanopy, prime and hulu for me. 

0 Kudos
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @ConanDYossarian,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

We're sorry to hear about the experience. That's not what we aim for. Have you tried restarting your Roku device to see if it helps? We would recommend doing this from the Settings menu by navigating to Settings > System > Power > System restart (if you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step).

Keep us posted on what you find out.

All the best,

Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
ConanDYossarian
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I did try this, bit it is still pausing randomly. 

0 Kudos
RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hello! @ConanDYossarian,

Thanks for the post,

We recommend performing the below steps and see if you can resolve the issue:

1. Remove the channel from the Roku device

2. Power cycle the Roku device, by disconnecting it from the power cable and reconnecting the device back to the power

3. Re-add the channel back to the Roku device

Please keep us posted on what you find out, and we will be happy to continue assisting you further. We look forward to hearing back from you.

Thanks,

Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Vinndalf
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Roku sent me a replacement device. That worked. No problem with the new device.

Johnnyoga

Jump to solution

I have had the same issue for six months.  Netflix is more troublesome (pausing every 4 or 5 seconds) but Hulu also pauses without cause.  Double clicking the play button restarts streaming.  Eventually I get smooth streaming.  It’s very inconvenient and I wonder if it’s the ##RokuExpress malfunctioning

0 Kudos
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Johnnyoga,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

Does the issue only occur on specific content within Netflix and Hulu or across other channels installed on your Roku device?

Did you restart your Roku before re-installing the channel? That step is crucial when performing troubleshooting. If you haven't tried the suggested order (remove > restart > re-install), we would recommend giving it a shot once again. We also suggest doing the restart from the Settings menu by navigating to Settings > System > Power (if you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step.) > System restart.

For detailed instructions, refer to this Support link: How do I resolve channel playback issues?

Please keep us posted on how it goes.

All the best,
Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos