Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
allisonh
Channel Surfer

Roku Express 4k+ regularly stuck loading, needs restart

I recently bought the Roku Express 4K+ and have been using it with Netflix, Comcast App, and Disney.  It works great when it works, but when it doesn't, it's painful, I often have to restart (soft reboot via the Settings, or unplug).

1. With Netflix, I can watch *some* shows and other shows will just get stuck on Loading.

2. With the Comcast App, the experience is worse, it often gets stuck when I switch to a different channel.

3. With Disney, I cannot load anything.

For 1. and 2. I can fix the problem with a restart, but then it happens again after some use.

I check the connection through the Roku settings, and it says it is good, download speed 40-48mbps. I also check the connection through the Netflix app, and it also gives a similar download speed.

My wireless/internet configuration:  Comcast internet, Motorola Surboard modem, TM-AC1900 Dual Band router.

I can't tell if it's a Roku or app issue. Any tips appreciated.

Thanks,

Allison

0 Kudos
16 REPLIES 16
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Re: Roku Express 4k+ regularly stuck loading, needs restart

Hey @allisonh

Thanks for letting us know about the issue you're experiencing.

Could you tell us when you started experiencing this issue? How your Roku Express 4K+ is powered? Is it connected to the USB port of the TV or to a wall outlet?

In some cases, the USB power provided by the TV is not sufficient to power the device. Even though your Roku device may appear to be working, running with insufficient power can lead to instability, crashing, and other unpredictable behavior.

Using the included power cord and power adapter, we suggest plugging your Roku into a working power outlet in the wall. Powering it through a power outlet in the wall has the additional advantage that your Roku player will not need to power up every time you turn on your TV. This means your Roku player will be up and running faster than it would be connected to a TV.

Please keep us posted!

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
allisonh
Channel Surfer

Hi Kariza,

I experienced the issue from day 1, I set up the device 6 days ago - Sept 20. The Roku is powered using the power adapter connected to an outlet, my TV does not have a USB port.

Thanks,

Allison

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

@allisonh

Thanks for the details. 

I have passed along your information and concern to our Support team. They will follow up and further assist you through email.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
allisonh
Channel Surfer

Thank you!

0 Kudos
gmm26
Reel Rookie

Needed to log in - I have this same issue.  Roku freezes, I need to return to home screen and restart through the menus.  Device then works for a while before needing to be reset again.

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @gmm26.

Thanks for reaching out to the Roku community!

We'd like to know more about how we can help! Can you please provide us with more specific information about the issue you are experiencing? Does the issue only occur on a specific channel or all channels on your Roku device? Have you tried the solution that was previously posted by @RokuKariza-D

Please keep us posted and we'll continue assisting you from there!

Many thanks,
Mary

0 Kudos
gmm26
Reel Rookie

Can you direct me to the solution proposed by @RokuKariza-D ?

I have a model 4800X that is connected to a Samsung TV.  Frequently, when we turn on the system (using the Roku remote always) the first content we turn to will not load - the screen is usually black with a rotating circle in the middle.  This also happens when we change content from the same provider or we change content providers.  We have experienced this issue when accessing content from Netflix, YouTubeTV, and Amazon Prime.  The solution to this problem is to restart the Roku through the Home menu.  This needs to be done at least once a day and sometimes many more.

Let me know if any more info would help 

0 Kudos
allisonh
Channel Surfer

I found restarts were required more often the more I clicked around (in an app, between apps -- it didn't matter which). I ended up "fixing" this problem by purchasing a new device. I replaced the device but kept everything else (cords, remote, tv) the same, and I no longer have to restart when switching apps, channels, etc.

One thing I have not tried is to factory reset the device, and start from scratch, maybe that will work for you, as there could be an issue with the software not updating.

0 Kudos
gmm26
Reel Rookie

Did Roku actually give you any help with this?  I was hoping the solution would not be for me to give more money to Roku

0 Kudos