Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jelge
Channel Surfer

Roku Express 4K+ won’t play Netflix

I searched but didn’t see anything specific to this. I can watch a few seconds of Netflix before it freezes. All software is up to date and I tried a hard reboot. I also removed Netflix, restarted and reinstalled Netflix. I thought maybe it was a connection problem because Roku apparently doesn’t support 5GHz at. All of our Roku devices (2 tvs and the Express) connect at 2.4 GHz on channel 6 with an efficiency of 20% or less but tethering the Express to my phone changed nothing (our phones and tablets all default to 5 GHz). Signal strength is strong and a connection test shows 41Mbs which is more than enough.  I haven’t spotted a way to control the connection and our Roku tvs work okay on 2.4GHz channel 6.  Disney+ as well as the free streaming channels we watch all play fine. 

7 REPLIES 7
RokuLianna
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku Express 4K+ won’t play Netflix

Hi  @Jelge

Thank you for the inquiry!

To ensure the process of removing and re-adding the Netflix channel is successful, make sure to restart your device before adding the channel back in from the Settings menu by navigating to  Settings > System > System restart > Restart. However, if it still has no dice and the issue is only with the channel alone, this is a good indication that there is likely an issue within that specific channel that will need to be addressed with an update from the channel publisher. Channels on Roku are created and maintained by each channel publisher. In this case, you'll want to reach out to Netflix support directly to share your feedback.

Warm Regards,
Lianna

0 Kudos
Jelge
Channel Surfer

You know… It’s really disappointing to take time to type what I did in sequence and the reply I get is to do EXACTLY what I did. 

Another annoyance… deleting and reinstalling Netflix on the Express in the grandkid’s room also removed it from the TV in the living room. It moved from the top of the channel list to the bottom and I had to sign in again. Our son will probably have to sign in again and rearrange channels on his TV too. That would not be a Netflix thing. 

0 Kudos
ItsAmyZing
Channel Surfer

I am having the same issue. I click OK or play/pause & it might play up to about 8 seconds or so, if that. I'll click over & over quickly for about a minute, then it usually works itself out. We shouldn't have to do this, though. Have you found a "fix"?

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @ItsAmyZing,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

Thanks for letting us know about the behavior you are seeing with your Roku device and we're very sorry to hear of the troubles.

We recommend starting performing the below steps and see if you can resolve the issue:

1. Remove the channel from the Roku device
  2. Power cycle the Roku device, by disconnecting it from the power cable and reconnecting the device back to the power
  3. Re-add the channel back to the Roku device

One additional suggestion we would like for you to try by performing a system update. You can check for a manual system update by navigating to Home > Settings > System > System update > Check now. and see if you notice any difference.

For more troubleshooting steps with any channel playback issue, follow our Support link: How to resolve a channel playback issue | Official Roku Support

Please let us know if the issue is fixed or reply back to the thread for further assistance, we will be glad to help you.

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
ItsAmyZing
Channel Surfer

Taking these actions did not work. Do you have any other tips or suggestions?

I did notice, after my previous comment, that this occurrence does not happen with everything on Netflix. It happens with Gilmore Girls, but did not with the new Anna Nicole Netflix movie. I've not tested with other shows yet, due to the frustration.

Thanks

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hey @ItsAmyZing,

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community!

We understand the issue you're having with Netflix. We'd like to know more about how we can help. Could you tell us a bit more about the issue you're running into? Also, does this issue only occurs with Netflix, or are other channels also affected?

In the meantime, it's also a good option to contact the channel provider directly to inquire further about the issue since it does not happen entirely on Netflix, but only to specific show/movie.

Let us know about what you find out.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Jelge
Channel Surfer

No fix for Netflix.  Go step by step through the suggestions. Let them know it is ONLY Netflix and all you get for a reply is to follow the same suggestions as before and ask if it is only Netflix. Asking Netflix isn’t any help either. Even our Roku tv has issues with Netflix. Sometimes freezes on the menu and randomly kicks us out the the tv Home Screen. The tv has a wired connection. Thinking about running wire to the tv the Express is attached too. It’s only 15-20 feet from the router. 

Occasionally, it works. I laid down with my grandson the other night and we watched Cocomelon on Netflix for about an hour before he fell asleep. The next day we were back to a few seconds at a time.  I found some of the same kids shows on a different channel so that device is mostly on that channel now. 

0 Kudos