Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Arsynics
Channel Surfer

Roku Completely Unresponsive

Jump to solution

I’ve never had an issue with this happening before, but someone in the house turned the tv off with the tv’s remote and not with the Roku remote as usual. Ever since then the Roku remote has been completely unresponsive, the menu will not come up, the remote can turn the tv off and on but not do anything else. When I unplug the Roku stick to reset it, the menu does not come up, and no matter how many times I press the reset buttons, nothing happens on the screen. I don’t know how to fix this issue and can’t find anything online about it.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Arsynics
Channel Surfer

Re: Roku Completely Unresponsive

Jump to solution

I think the cats pulled the extension cord out of the wall so that was the issue! The tv and Roku’s cord are plugged into different areas so that explains why the tv was working.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
Strega
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Turning off the TV with the TV remote shouldn't make any difference.  But I wonder if they used some other features of that remote, such as changing the input away from the Roku input? (Just a guess.)

atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Need to know the model number of your Roku. Just saying "Stick" isn't enough, as there's been many different versions of the Roku Stick. I realize that it might be difficult to get to the menu to see that with the remote not working, but the number should be printed on the case somewhere, or you can use the Roku app on your phone (assuming the Roku is still connected to the network). 

Don't press the factory reset button (recessed button on the Stick) until you have a working remote. There's no way to control a Roku Stick without a working remote, so setup would be impossible if you reset the player. If you've pressed the button, but didn't hold it in for 30 seconds, then it hasn't been reset.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
Arsynics
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

The model number is 3810X and I don’t think that the Roku is on the home network anymore because I can’t find it in the app. I don’t think i held any reset buttons for 30 seconds but I might have and didn’t realize it. 

0 Kudos
Arsynics
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I’m honestly not too sure if they did or not, I just remember it being on the Roku menu screen before they turned the tv off, and when I went to turn it on today the menu never came up so they could’ve pressed something else and I didn’t notice it.

0 Kudos
Arsynics
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I think the cats pulled the extension cord out of the wall so that was the issue! The tv and Roku’s cord are plugged into different areas so that explains why the tv was working.

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@Arsynics wrote:

So you now see your Roku on your TV screen? I didn't understand that it wasn't there before from your previous posts. If you did hold the reset button long enough, you'll now have to go through the setup process again. But it should at least be working correctly again now. 

Dan

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Arsynics
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Yeah I see it now and everything is working fine, Im sorry for the confusion. I didn’t know what the problem was so I didn’t really know how to explain everything

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

It's funny because people complain that when they call support they have to put up with questions like: "Is it plugged in?"  Well, there is a reason that they ask that!!!  Smiley Very Happy  Glad you got it worked out!

Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

The Roku remote wasn't reset so it still controls the tv by IR, it now needs to be re-paired to the Roku stick. 

Edmund

I am not a Roku employee.