Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Klutchpike

Roku 2 Not Staying On, as the light comes on, blinks a few times, and then goes back off.

Jump to solution

Hmmm.....so I turned on my Roku 2 (attached to my tv) today as usual.  The light comes on for a bit, then blinks about 8 times, and then goes off.  I have tried disconnecting the HDMI plug and the power cord.  I even tried the reset button....which appears to be broken now as nothing stops my paperclip from going all the way into the Roku2 box.  I have tried restarting the Roku2 several times to no avail.  My remote will cause the light to come on while pressing the home button yet goes out when I take my finger off the button.  Is my Roku2 shot or might there be something else?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku 2 Not Staying On, as the light comes on, blinks a few times, and then goes back off.

Jump to solution

There are five different versions that had Roku 2 in their name. Only one (the 4210) is still considered operational and receives updates. All the others are labeled as Legacy and no longer supported. And while the 4210 was a really good player when it was released in Apr 2015, but it is woefully out of date compared to the newest players. 

The light flashing when you press the remote button is normal. It should only flash when a button is pressed, or at least that's the way it works on my Stick 4K+ that I can see from where I'm sitting.

While your Roku 2 may or may not still be supported (probably not) you might consider that it's time for a replacement. Even if you don't have a 4K TV, you would see a significant performance improvement with a new Express 4K+. I don't recommend the basic Express, even if you don't have a 4K TV. For the small price difference the Express 4K+ is a huge step up from the Express.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku 2 Not Staying On, as the light comes on, blinks a few times, and then goes back off.

Jump to solution

There are five different versions that had Roku 2 in their name. Only one (the 4210) is still considered operational and receives updates. All the others are labeled as Legacy and no longer supported. And while the 4210 was a really good player when it was released in Apr 2015, but it is woefully out of date compared to the newest players. 

The light flashing when you press the remote button is normal. It should only flash when a button is pressed, or at least that's the way it works on my Stick 4K+ that I can see from where I'm sitting.

While your Roku 2 may or may not still be supported (probably not) you might consider that it's time for a replacement. Even if you don't have a 4K TV, you would see a significant performance improvement with a new Express 4K+. I don't recommend the basic Express, even if you don't have a 4K TV. For the small price difference the Express 4K+ is a huge step up from the Express.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos